It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher's Holocaust denial causes uproar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
This morning I received an email from my nephew who attends Northwest Career and Technical Academy in Las Vegas. The email contained a link to a story about one of his teachers denying the holocaust. You can read more about it here:

www.lvrj.com...

What are your opinions on this story? The link says, "As a matter of district policy, teachers are not supposed to speak about subjects outside their expertise. Sublette is a full-time gym teacher with a bachelor's degree in kinesiology... according to the school's Web site." but do you think that should apply to this situation? Also, do you think holocaust denial laws will someday be introduced here in America?

EDIT: Can a MOD please move this thread? This was clearly posted in this forum by accident, and I'd appreciate it if a mod could move it to the appropriate forum. Thankyou, and my apologies for the mistake.

[edit on 19-12-2009 by EMPIRE]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
What is holocaust denial, can it be something as big as saying 6 million people didn't die, or saying that there was collusion between two groups (Nazis and Jewish leaders) to enable this to happen, lest we forget that the Nazis herded up and/or murdered 6 million people with little or no resistance.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

Originally posted by EMPIRE
Also, do you think holocaust denial laws will someday be introduced here in America?

I hope not. These laws are perfect example of the freedom of speech in Europe.

It has much similarity to the middle-ages, when god-deniers and heretics were burned at the stake.

-v

[edit on 19-12-2009 by v01i0]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
And we wonder why the youth are the way they are? So, she can't answer to whether she said this or not without talking to her principal, was it the principal, her lawyer, or her union rep........sounds like she needs a new job.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

According to a student who gave her take on the situation, the teacher
"told students that history textbooks have inaccurate information and Holocaust photographs were doctored or distorted. She also said Sublette said in class that some Holocaust photographs were actually taken during an earlier time period in Russia."

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Well, of course it is highly possible that someone could deny anything, if they find it too disturbing, or unbelievable.

Perhaps this teacher believes that it's just too inhuman and no one could ever have done it. Sadly, the truth is: someone did it.

[edit on 19-12-2009 by 0rigin]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Nice Article EMPIRE but i covers something me and my boy has talked about. I'm not denying that the holocaust didn't happen but i do question the amount..the number...of jews that was killed, that's all.

More Russians were killed than jews, triple the amount but they don't get a movie. History isn't related accurately nowadays, damn near everyone has an agenda.

Unfortunately, people in this country are being persecuted for their opinion. If anyone tries to teach our kids or even the adults anything that clashes with what they have already been told, then people start to scream at the top of their lungs about the injustice.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The teacher should be disciplined for attempting to teach anything but push-ups and dodge-ball. This bumpkin must have skipped a lot of classes at the local state teacher's college and this unsatisfactory behavior should instigate a re-examination of her educational credentials and references. Her immature lack of judgement in this matter also brings her suitability to teach into question.

I do not think that laws preventing the denial of the holocaust will be passed because that would go against free speech. Of course, free speech comes with the responsibility for one's words, hence the famous quote about shouting "fire" in a crowded movie theater. Those that espouse such ideas must be careful not to commit or incite hate crimes while exercising ther right to free speech.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
This woman certainly has a right to believe and speak what she wishes to, but not on school time against school policy.

She should be disciplined as in accordance with breaking the school's rules.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Do you guys deny the Palestinian genocide?

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
i to have had trouble believing much of the official holocaust story.
this it an excellent set of videos
www.onethirdoftheholocaust.com...
please watch them all

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

there will always be holocaust deniers...that is why eisenhower had hundreds of hours of film shot at the concentration camps along with thousands of photographs. he had a special unit, where that is all they did. he was so horrified, that this could take place, that he ordered massive amounts of documentation, so no one in the future could deny that it happened. so that is why deniers of the holocaust are simply lying. it remains today as THE most documented atrocity in human history.

this gym teacher should NOT be teaching, he should be fired. then as a private citizen, he can say anything he wants. if you do not understand why he should be fired from a teaching position, then you yourself need to learn critical-thinking skills.

[edit on 19-12-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by v01i0
reply to post by EMPIRE

Originally posted by EMPIRE
Also, do you think holocaust denial laws will someday be introduced here in America?

I hope not. These laws are perfect example of the freedom of speech in Europe.

It has much similarity to the middle-ages, when god-deniers and heretics were burned at the stake.

-v

[edit on 19-12-2009 by v01i0]

-------------------------------------------

Unfortunately in Europe (i live there) free speech is practically a thing of the past. Guard against it happening to you too.
I still would not advocate airing personal views to children though if you are a teacher.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
reply to post by EMPIRE

there will always be holocaust deniers...that is why eisenhower had hundreds of hours of film shot at the concentration camps along with thousands of photographs. he had a special unit, where that is all they did. he was so horrified, that this could take place, that he ordered massive amounts of documentation, so no one in the future could deny that it happened. so that is why deniers of the holocaust are simply lying. it remains today as THE most documented atrocity in human history.

this gym teacher should NOT be teaching, he should be fired. then as a private citizen, he can say anything he wants. if you do not understand why he should be fired from a teaching position, then you yourself need to learn critical-thinking skills.

[edit on 19-12-2009 by jimmyx]

The holocaust was HOAX!

Do you get it, now?

Would you have reacted the same way, if that teacher had denied the African, Native-Indian, Armenian, Palestinian, and many other genocides throughout history?

Now, take out that minora out of your rear, and talk some sense.

THE HOLOCAUST WAS A HOAX!

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Don't feed the troll.............they never get full.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
It did happen and anyone denying it is a fool.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I know it will DEFINITELY happen in North America.
Okay. So you know in a couple months the olympics are here. Well we have a policy that it is ILLEGAL to have any slogans, signs, t-shirts, ANYTHING that is negative about the olympics.

I doubt there would be jail but there is a fine! For an opinion!

She should not be debating with students during class time but it said someone brought it up, so she responded, tough call. But at any rate she cant be blamed for some neo-nazi kid threatening students, the police should arrest the kid, school threats are serious.

Originally posted by jimmyx
reply to post by EMPIRE

this gym teacher should NOT be teaching, he should be fired. then as a private citizen, he can say anything he wants. if you do not understand why he should be fired from a teaching position, then you yourself need to learn critical-thinking skills.]

Way to not read the story, the teacher is a woman...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by kwisatz

I know

I too live in Europe. But I agree what you said; Americans should really guard their rights for free speech.

-v

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Originally posted by Night Star
It did happen and anyone denying it is a fool.

Happened or not, it should be free to be critisized.

-v

new topics

top topics

join