It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Pharma paid $500,000 to Chicago psychiatrists who used children as guinea pigs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

A federal lawsuit has been filed against pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca for its role in paying Chicago psychiatrist Dr. Michael Reinstein nearly $500,000 over the course of a decade to conduct research and to promote its anti-psychotic drug, Seroquel. Reinstein is being accused of wrongfully preying on thousands of mentally-ill patients in order to rake in profits for AstraZeneca.

www.infowars.com...

i for one have had enough of this

If you dont know alot about things of this nature then watch the film generation RX.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Glad this has come to light. This happens all the time. I should be outraged, it just seems so common and normal, to where I just want to roll my eyes and say, looks like bigpharma is at it again. Gawd, where is the shock and anger I should have over this?

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
What is so disgusting about this is we actually don't know whether the "patients" were mentally ill or not. Certainly don't know whether they would require a very strong anti-psychotic medication such as seroquel.

Long term effects of this medication, and many others like it, have not been studied properly in clinical trials, especially in children. I'm afraid we are going to wind up with another generation of folks with tardive dyskinesia, and other permanent, irreparable damage due these drugs.

It worries me they are being used by demanding parents and schools as "chemical restraints", against hard to control children.

I've also noted recently they are being administered the dosage in the morning (obviously to control behaviors at school), and then the school is sending home notes that these children "are sleeping through class".

What has happened here is unconscionable, unethical, and I hope all the involved parties pay dearly for what they have done.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I am disgusted, that doctors willingly prescribe psychotropic drugs without a second thought. The experimental nature of Seroquel makes it worse than many other cases, but corruption is rampant in the health care industry. The marketing strategies of big pharma are so effective, that doctors, are sometimes even unaware, that they are being corrupted. In the USA 6,7% of all youths take prescribed psychotropic drugs, trice the percentage found in western European countries.

You may not be as aware of the numbers behind the images. In 2004 US pharmaceutical sales totaled $235.4 billion, of which 24% was spent on marketing of existing drugs, over twice the expenditure on research and development of new compounds. Of the industry’s $57.5 billion marketing budget, 36% was spent on visits to physicians by industry representatives (“detailing”), 28% was spent on drug samples for doctors to give to patients, while only 7% was used for direct to consumer advertising. (Gagnon MA, Lexchin J. The Cost of Pushing Pills: A New Estimate of Pharmaceutical Promotion Expenditures in the United States. PLoS Med 2008). Physicians themselves become extensions of the drug advertising apparatus by accepting thousands of dollars to give lectures, with the implicit expectation that they promote the company’s drug (Carlat D Dr. Drug Rep. The New York Times Magazine Nov 25, 2007). Clinical researchers are offered something money can’t buy: authorship on manuscripts reporting drug trials which have been written by company employees (referred to as “ghostwriting”) (Ross JL et al. JAMA 2008;299:1800-1812).

Rest at www.clinicalcorrelations.org...

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

i know some here this is so normal now it is like "oh" even tho it is HORRABLE it is so common we sorta tend to forget ya know.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenshrew

hay man im 15. the teachers think they are MD's or something. they keep saying "oh vinny you have this and that" it is so ridiculous. I'm like no I'm just normal.

top topics

join