It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On-going Battle of the Sexes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This probably isn't what you immediately thought of when you read this topic title.

Researchers have recently discovered that a person's gender may not be as set in stone as we thought. Up until recently, it has been believed that once a person was born that their gender was set (barring surgical procedures that really are merely cosmetic changes). However, the discovery of a certain gene, FoxL2, has shown that this may not be the case. The FoxL2 gene seems to control whether a person develops male or female sexual organs and, surprisingly, its activity is still important into adulthood. It was found that when the gene was turned off in adult female mice their ovarian cells would begin to change into testicular cells. Scientists believe that this suggests the same could be true in humans.

Telegr aph Story

I found this extremely interesting and am curious what the rest of you think about it.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
No one has any opinions on this? I was really hoping to hear what others thought

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BriggsBU

It is interesting.

I thought I read somewhere (no idea where or when, sorry) that all mammals were inherently female. Then some hormone activates and the female fetus becomes male. Does this article mean that is not the case?

Keep us informed! ")

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by BriggsBU
This probably isn't what you immediately thought of when you read this topic title.

Researchers have recently discovered that a person's gender may not be as set in stone as we thought. Up until recently, it has been believed that once a person was born that their gender was set (barring surgical procedures that really are merely cosmetic changes). However, the discovery of a certain gene, FoxL2, has shown that this may not be the case. The FoxL2 gene seems to control whether a person develops male or female sexual organs and, surprisingly, its activity is still important into adulthood. It was found that when the gene was turned off in adult female mice their ovarian cells would begin to change into testicular cells. Scientists believe that this suggests the same could be true in humans.

Telegr aph Story

I found this extremely interesting and am curious what the rest of you think about it.

If you had made it a 'Gay' issue the thread would have gone nuts.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
since you feel left out I'll play
I don't have the medical or genetics background to really understand what their saying... I remember reading some frogs can change their sex. are the saying we humans might be able to do the same? I'm confused
unless their postulating the explanation for the virgin birth?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

That's pretty much exactly what they are saying. They're saying that my suppressing or enabling this particular gene that it could be possible to change a person's sex.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

Hmm, perhaps I should make a post about how it's a huge conspiracy and they're going to use this gene therapy to change homosexual men into women and lesbians into men so that their physical bodies will better match their sexual orientations! Or maybe about how the government is going to use it to control how many men and women there are to somehow reduce the population. Or we could say that women are inherently weaker than men so the government will turn almost all the men into women except for breeding stock so they can control the population and simultaneously not have to worry about a citizen uprising. Maybe they could even put it in the water.

I think I covered enough flame material and conspiracy material that time. What do you think?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BriggsBU

Well if your really looking to get people all worked up...
tell them their using genetics to convert Christan's into Jews and Muslims into Buddhists

that should start the greatest argument since they desegregated heaven

join