It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freaked Out !

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Tell us Omega why should we listen to you more than the reports from not only the pentagon but other scientists in related fields?

Rapid climate change is believed now to be able to happen in a decade or less. Such a change surely falls within our lifetime. Althou is true that being paranoid about it will not help you, but people could make perhaps a plan in case something like this happens.

Anyone living close to the coast could perhaps keep in contact with family or friends living inland and ask if there is a hurricane (you don't even have to say anything about rapid climate change) threat, if your family could go live with them until the threat is gone. You can even tell them that your family can sleep on the floor if necessary. I have a sleeping bag and a tent, because I like hiking and camping, and those can be used in emergecies also.

People in south FLorida do this and when there are threats some people decide is better for them to get away from the threatened area.

Having a contingency plan like that and knowing how to get to that place will be a big step in case anything happens.

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I wouldn't do anything drastic worrying about asteroid impacts or other natural disasters. I'm not going to change anything I'm doing. Actually there is a much better chance of a relatively small rock hitting the Earth somewhere and wiping out a small city or country area or causing a small tidal wave then there is of a global disaster that wipes out everyone. I believe a small comet detonated in the air over Siberia back in the early 1900's and wiped out a huge section of forest.

I say let our government spend the money to find these asteroids and let them worry about them especially since we can't do anything about it. On the bright side, wouldn't you just love it if a 400 lb rock of gold fell in your backyard? Those meteorites are worth a lot of money. Maybe one day, those near earth asteroids will be mined for the trillion dollars worth of metals they contain.

Edited note: Evacuation/contingency plans are always a good idea especially if you live near the coast. Hurricanes happen every year and they kill people who stay and ignore warnings to leave.

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by orionthehunter]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I don't think you want a 400lb asteroid hitting anywhere close to your house, now something that small hitting the atmosphere will desintegrate.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Ok 400lb might be a bit much. I'm not an expert on the weight of meteorites though. I remember a meteorite seen by many on the news that was breaking up in the atmosphere as it was crossing in the night sky over the US not that long ago was found to have crashed into the back end of an old automobile. It went straight through the trunk and left a small hole in the ground I believe. Ok I found a link, guess the meteorite only weighed 12 kg and went straight through the trunk of a parked car.
csep10.phys.utk.edu...

The small stuff is much more common than a large comet or asteroid.

Note: The MPEG movie shows it pretty good.

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by orionthehunter]

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Do some drugs, you'll be OK. The world may end but I think it's very exciting.
I've resolved to live my entire life as a child: thoroughly fascinated and thrilled by every prospect, idea, and drama, but not a bit upset by any of it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join