It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HOW TO SPOT A MADE-UP STORY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
HOW TO SPOT A BULL# CHARLIE

Sadly, ATS has many lonely people who post made-up stories just to get some cheap attention.

- This confuses issues.
- Drowns out real points
- Wastes people's time

So here's some give away signs that someone is a BULL# CHARLIE...

1. His post begins with the words "PROOF THAT". This is, ironically, an oxymoron of a description.
2. They spout off about "ENERGY"
3. They talk blithely about "BEING READY FOR THE SHIFT"
4. When talking about aliens, they will claim that they come from a such-and-such constellation. Constellations are stars grouped only by the line of sight from earth. No alien would know that they are from a "Constellation" only that they were from a planet near a particular star that haappens to be in a particular constellation.
5. They tell you that you have to accept some rubbish theory until something provably better comes along. This is very common amongst "debunkers", peddling "official story" dogma.
6. They will grab at two separate ideas that, shove them together and try to claim a new "fact". I came across one bozo recently who suggested aliens were behind CS gas as the C in CS as the C stands for Caesium, a radioactive substance, as Cs is its chemical symbol. WRONG! The C is for Carbon and the S is for sulphur. And since the guy claimed that he was a geologist, he is obviously just a nutter as anyoen who has qualified as a geologist would know this.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The only truths you know are yours. Everything i write here is truth and no fiction from me. But you take what you want from all posters, as alot of stuff really is stranger than fiction, lol.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
"You will find that many of the truths we cling to, greatly depend on our own point of view"- Jedi Master Obi Wan kenobi

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by aristocrat2

You certainly make some worthy points there. I'm sure you realise it's not quite that straightforward though.

As grand a website as this is, there is unfortunately a lot of garbage posted but some people's trash is another's treasure. It's up to the individual to simply ignore that which they deem to be "garbage".

Oh and sometimes made up stories start with "we're just friends" or "I have to stay back late at work today dear".................

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It is truly a sad day when a guide like this must be created. And all because humans fall for outlandish traps

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

There's an even easier way - if the poster can't prove their claims, and instead asks others to disprove them, then walk away. If they can't prove their claims, they have no rational reason to believe them themselves, and so are acting irrationally. There is no possible way to talk to an irrational person that will yield positive results for either participant.

So, if someone can't prove what they're saying, walk away. It will increase the signal-to-noise ratio of the board, making it a more useful resource for those willing to put in the hard work it takes to actually research phenomena. It takes no effort to claim something. It takes effort to prove it.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by OZtracized

Oh and sometimes made up stories start with "we're just friends" or "I have to stay back late at work today dear".................

This cracked me up

It's funny cus it's true....

[edit on 12-12-2009 by Bachfin]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by davesidious

Alot of time people cannot show you proof on a web page, if it comes from life and its true, what can they do.

Truth is something, that relies on trust, if you do not trust people here, than thats your business.

Then the only truth is your truths.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

No, if something is true, then it has to be demonstrable. There are no two ways about it. If it's not demonstrable, it's not true. If you disagree, please give me an example of something which is true, which is not demonstrable. It's a basic principle of learning, and something we can't simply do away with because it's difficult. If someone can't be bothered to, or is incapable of, proving their point, then they should either clearly label it with 'my hypothesis', or keep it to themselves. Otherwise this board will be dripping with all kind of nonsense, and the real gems that make ATS famous (for the right reasons) will never be heard by the majority of people, which is terrible.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Always take what you read with a grain of salt. Not only on this site but anywhere and everywhere. I would like to bring up the media while we are on the topic of made up stories
They spew forth such bull# that I don't even watch them anymore.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Hi, aristocrat2.

I hope you are not in any religion ( I was ) because
a religion is reallllly a
MADE-UP STORY
made by a bunch of
BULL# CHARLIEs ! ! B-)

With all the non sense I learned (was brainwashed) when young,
I distanced more and more of it, and I feel A LOT better ! !

Blue skies.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious

There's an even easier way - if the poster can't prove their claims, and instead asks others to disprove them, then walk away. If they can't prove their claims, they have no rational reason to believe them themselves, and so are acting irrationally. There is no possible way to talk to an irrational person that will yield positive results for either participant.

So, if someone can't prove what they're saying, walk away. It will increase the signal-to-noise ratio of the board, making it a more useful resource for those willing to put in the hard work it takes to actually research phenomena. It takes no effort to claim something. It takes effort to prove it.

I don't actually agree with this. If this were the case then it would stiffle all new theorising.

If someone is offering a THEORY, then that is a valid point and is worth discussing.

Consider for eample, the discovery of electromagnetism, one of the most important discoveries of mankind. A school teacher a couple of centuries ago, read in a text that electricity has no effect on magnetism. To prove this to his class of students, he set up an experiment using electricity generated by a revolving sphere to pose and dismiss the theory that it would. Repeated attempts showed the exact opposite of what was regarded as obvious at the time. Had he not considered this theory, despite appearing to be ludicrous by 17 century standards, electromagnetism would still be unknown.

:Likewise, consider most of the amazing discoveries that 9/11 research turned up occured for the following reason: Avery and his friends making Loose Change were out to make a ridiculous movie about 9/11 by taking the idea that it was an inside job. They therefore looked without conviction, at various events with a ludicrous spin. For this ridiculous concept to fly they reasoned through that x and y must have taken place and occured for their theory that they did not believe to hold water. to their amazement they kept finding that x and y DID hold until, as they put it, one day they were hit by this "Holy Sh1t" moment, a moment when they realised that this was not a ludicrous theory, but that the evidence DID actually point to an inside job.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious
reply to post by andy1033

No, if something is true, then it has to be demonstrable. There are no two ways about it. If it's not demonstrable, it's not true. If you disagree, please give me an example of something which is true, which is not demonstrable. It's a basic principle of learning, and something we can't simply do away with because it's difficult. If someone can't be bothered to, or is incapable of, proving their point, then they should either clearly label it with 'my hypothesis', or keep it to themselves. Otherwise this board will be dripping with all kind of nonsense, and the real gems that make ATS famous (for the right reasons) will never be heard by the majority of people, which is terrible.

I do not agree as there are cases where something is PRIMA FACIA. For example, someone stole my briefcase in 1997. I don't have a receipt for it, and I can't prove that I had one, but someone stole it. In 2002, I saw a man climbing through the window if the office building next door. Maybe he had lost his key, but I suspected that he was a burgaler although, I could not prove it when I called the police and he could have denied it as he had climbed through an open window without breaking it. When they came, he immediately surrendered with his hands behind his head even before they had crossed the car park, let alone told him that her was under arrest. Even so, I could not prove it at the time that I was reporting the event that I had witnessed.

One can be a witness to something, but be the only witness. By revealing that one is a witness, it can sometimes bring forth other witnesses.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

HOW TO SPOT A MADE-UP STORY

Sadly, ATS has many lonely people who post made-up stories just to get some cheap attention.

You forgot to add they often use ALL CAPS in their 'story' headings...

And no attention is cheap attention if you're lonely wise guy...

Just sayin...

peace

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
"You will find that many of the truths we cling to, greatly depend on our own point of view"- Jedi Master Obi Wan kenobi

Something very wise actually. Im surprised it made it into a Hollywood movie. These days its more like "Dont Make Me Think" movies.

aristocrat2, I guarantee that the world is stranger than it seems to you. Its pretty much proven that we have multiple dimensions we cant even see, and that consciousness may actually create reality. Thats with todays science. Imagine what we will know a hundred years from now.

[edit on 13-12-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Well, it was 30 years ago. Hollywood was slightly different.
But yes, wise all the same.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

You can't expect someone to believe your briefcase was stolen. You can't expect a judge, for example, in a court hearing to accept that your briefcase was stolen, as you simply can not prove it.

Until you have actual evidence of something, and not just an eye-witness report or two, it practically didn't happen. You may continue to research it, you may even get others to help you prove it happened, but you can not rationally expect anyone to believe you until you can prove it.

That is the crux of the issue - too much rubbish on ATS is simply unfounded guesswork people pass off as fact because they simply can not be bothered to research it and make a reasonable, sensible case of it.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I have found that this thread points out a lot of ways posters/threaders try to prop up weak positions and outright lies.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join