It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you know that knitting needles are weapons now?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Yes you did read that titile correctly.

Today i went into town looking for some knitting needles for my girlfriends daughters, i thought i'd pick myself up some too as i'm learning to knit (want to make a scarf for the kids).

Anyway i thought i'd try in the charity/thrift shops first as they usualy have some going cheap. I went to five shops who all told me they could not sell them any more as they are weapons. I explained that they were in fact used for knitting, and yes whilst they could be used as a weapon, so could everything else in thier shop.

Apparently very few charity shops are allowed to sell them now though due to this reason. I did find one shop who had some, but it was like some secret exchange bewteen two spies! First she looked up and down the shop, all cloak and dagger-like, then she got down onto the floor and retrieved a hidden box from under the bottom shelf where no-one could see it.

There, in the box, were the dangerous knitting needles!

Funnily enough the proper sewing shops still sell them in the packets, and don't require any proof that you're not going to stab someone, but obviously the health and safety brigade are bored at the moment. :bnghd:

Enough from me, sorry for the moan, it just seemed so damn stupid i had to share.

CX.

[edit on 8/12/09 by CX]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
That sounds a bit fishy to me...I know several places where I could go right now and buy several without issue...

interesting

PS...I just read that and no I am not saying you are lying it just sounds odd

-Kyo

CX

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I don't blame you for thinking it sounds odd, it is!

It just confirms how the health and safety farce is being taken to new lows these days here in the UK.

CX.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Do you know if this means they are prohibited on planes?

Just curious. That would really be dumb.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
This is stupid, I often have a 16 inch machete on my belt for gardening, and I always have a 6 inch straight blade on my belt anytime I'm out.

Is my hammer a weapon ?
Are screw drivers a weapon ?
What about the forks I have in the kitchen ?

Anything can be a weapon, but I need tools to do my job. It's the intent behind it's use that makes it lethal.

Should we ban all rocks now because a kid might throw one ?

There goes the planet, it's made of rock..........

EDIT: I just realized you are in the UK. Do you know that the rest of the world refers to you as the "Nanny State" ?

You have more cctv per capita than any other country.
You have more people registered in DNA databases than any other country.

You handed over any freedom you ever had to the government out of fear.:shk:
It's sad really, but you deserve what you get.
Someone will be around soon to change your wet nappie.

[edit on 9/12/2009 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Do you know if this means they are prohibited on planes?

Just curious. That would really be dumb.

well that is kind of a long drawn out explanation - in the US you are supposed to be able to take them on planes - HOWEVER it is ultimately up to the TSA person who check you thru -- they have been know to rip them out of knitting projects and throw them away and when people try to point out that they are legal on the TSA site itself - they can be held up and miss their flights while waiting for a supervisor --

In the UK they are still banned on planes completely - and yes it is stupid -

new topics

top topics

join