It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will cutting back on teen Pap tests result in more STDs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Will cutting back on teen Pap tests result in more STDs?

www.cnn.com

(Health.com) -- Teen girls can skip Pap tests, according to new guidelines that say women should start cervical cancer screening at age 21. But some experts are concerned that rates of sexually transmitted diseases or unplanned pregnancies could increase without the Pap test to prompt a doctor's visit.

As it stands, as many as one in four U.S. teenage girls has had an STD at some point in her life, often soon after she becomes sexually active, according to research published this week in Pediatrics.

"I am concerned that without the recommendation for young women to get Pap smears early
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I will agree that regular testing is very important, not just for STD's but various forms of cancer etc..

I think it's important that all girls who become sexually active get tested regularly, however I don't think just because they have the option of not going, makes them spread diseases any faster.

I personnaly have never had an STD, but I am assuming that you can figure it out pretty quick on your own once symptoms start to propagate.

I also think that women are usually on the "smarter" end of talking with doctors and covering their bases when it comes to preventative medicine.

Any thoughts ATS?

~Keeper

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join