It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan president loses amnesty for corruption charges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Pakistan president loses amnesty for corruption charges

www.cnn.com

Islamabad, Pakistan (CNN) -- An amnesty protecting Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari from corruption charges expired on Saturday and threatened to cast the nation into political crisis.

The National Reconciliation Ordinance, an amnesty passed in October 2007 under then-President Pervez Musharraf, protected more than 8,000 bureaucrats and politicians, including Zardari and his wife, late former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.

The supreme court could reopen corruption cases against Zardari if it declares the ordinance under Musharraf's military rule was unconstitutional and never approv
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Well that's interesting. It seems Pakistan might become politically unstable in the next few months, perhaps providing ground for the Taliban to gain a stronger foot hold.

I wonder what will transpire if they re-open the case for corruption charges, it could be a way of showing the world that Pakistan is attemtping to reform the government and move to a more honest type system.

What do you all think ATS?

~Keeper

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I know that zardari was in private discussions witha judge who is assigned to the war crimes tribunal at Hague and was previously a supreme court judge in Pakistan just last week.

It was supposedly a private advice session and not reported in the media at all. I find it interesting considering the timing.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Does this also apply to the election irregularities that got him into power & then kept him in power??? more than likely not

have we chosen the wrong puppet this time? & can we maintain his presence?

I think we are hard pushed to eliminate the Taliban completely with or without this character.

I view Pakistan a bigger threat to world stability thanAfghanistan or Iraq ever was, and probably more so than Iran.

they have nukes & a large conventional army, like to take pot shots at India and don't seem to have governmental stability

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I think the most troubling aspect is that Pakistan is a Nuclear Power, with an unstable government, and an unclear/uncertain positon towards India and the west. This in a country where assasinations to silence politicians and whistleblowers has a storied history. And if the true corruption of the Pakistani Govt is revealed it may destabilize the situation far more severely.

top topics

join