It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof that the UK Government really doesn't want the British Army to leave Afghanistan.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Hey ATS, I felt compelled to bring this to your attention.

More proof that the perpetual War in Afghanistan is designed to be that way.

From the respected Independent newspaper.

Plans to boost Afghan troops sparks UK withdrawal possibility

Gordon Brown today paved the way for an earlier-than-expected withdrawal of British troops from Afghanistan as he called for training of Afghan forces to be accelerated.

The Prime Minister used a major policy speech to propose bringing forward a key Nato target to expand the Afghan army to 134,000 troops from 2011 to next year.

More Afghan troops, that means more training, more support from NATO allies, doesn't it?

Cuts ground special forces’ helicopters - Times Online

HELICOPTERS used by British special forces to mentor their Afghan counterparts on anti-drugs operations have been grounded to save just £2m a year. The funding for the helicopters — used by the Special Boat Service (SBS) and Afghan special forces for raids on drugs barons and Taliban insurgents — was cut by the Foreign Office two months ago.

The decision came despite Gordon Brown’s announcement that Britain’s “exit strategy” rests on training Afghan forces to take over its role.

Ed Butler, who commanded British troops when they first deployed to Helmand in 2006, said: “It strikes me as pretty counter-intuitive and verging on the ridiculous to cut this funding when the government is stressing the training of Afghan security forces as a way of withdrawing our troops.”

Yep, that's right.

At least you can count on politicians to be consistent. By that I mean saying one thing and doing another. The trouble here is that every time they make decisions like this, a few more days, months or years is added to the length of the war. During that extra time, some poor boy is going to get blown up or mowed down.

All for a few million pounds in savings.

Seriously, this makes me so angry!

British Military, You stand accused of gross negligence, murder and failing your servicemen!

Anyway ATS, all the best to you!

[edit on 29-11-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Nicely timed thread Kiwi,
I still cannot get my head around this government's policies,
I mean look at the helicopter issue, We have an abundance of them in war reserve stock, For example RAF coastguard The helos used for transporting supplies and personnel to the oil rigs (supposedly the best pilots there are) we have police surveillance helos and not to mention private corporation helos, From what i have heard those corporation helos are lying around because of the recession,
And here we are trying to save a few million for what ??
So the politicians can have a few more "freebies" ...........

I don't mean cull all those public services but scale it back and recruit the pilots into the American type service, Corps of engineers and give them the same rates as they demand in civy life, IMHO...

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by foxhoundone
Nicely timed thread Kiwi,
I still cannot get my head around this government's policies,
I mean look at the helicopter issue, We have an abundance of them in war reserve stock, For example RAF coastguard The helos used for transporting supplies and personnel to the oil rigs (supposedly the best pilots there are) we have police surveillance helos and not to mention private corporation helos, From what i have heard those corporation helos are lying around because of the recession,
And here we are trying to save a few million for what ??
So the politicians can have a few more "freebies" ...........

I don't mean cull all those public services but scale it back and recruit the pilots into the American type service, Corps of engineers and give them the same rates as they demand in civy life, IMHO...

I agree, I have never actually thought of it like that.

There must be a hell of a lot of helicopters being used for civilian uses that could be adapted for Army use.

I suppose it all comes down to priorities.

By that I mean when we fought the world wars, it was total war. Industry was hijacked by the war machine, the public made sacrifices for the cause.

From its inception this war (on the UK side) has been underfunded, prioritised incorrectly and the poor lads out there treated disgustingly.

If they wanted to, they could get the choppers, if they gave up a couple of perks they'd find the money. If they can bail out the bankers they can find the money to make the British Army well equipped and lacking in nothing.

But me thinks it is like that by design, there can be no other excuse for the continued lack of appropriate funding.

ll the best mate, kiwifoot.

join