It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Automechanical Modification: Safe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I need some help from someone who knows something about cars. A hobby of mine is modding my car (2000 Acura Integra). I have a few mods on it including a cold air intake, and the intake tube has some vacuum ports that are plugged up with no vacuum tubes connected. What I want to see if I can do is connect a small external air blower to a vacuum tube connected to the air intake tube. So my question is, will this hurt my engine? I know the air blowing in will circumvent the air filter, so it may blow in unwanted dirt/debris. I don't think it will cause a vacuum leak and it won't block the intake tube. In theory it adds a lot of extra air blowing into the engine. So, let's discuss.

Edit: Oops this may be the wrong forum. Mods please move if needed.
Edit: Thanks, I didn't know this forum existed

[edit on 28-11-2009 by OrphenFire]

[edit on 28-11-2009 by OrphenFire]

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
hi, im not sure if i understand what you want to do exactly, are you trying to achieve a turbo/supercharged effect? the problems i can see are that by bypassing the air flow meter you will be putting unmetered air in to the engine, the ecu may not like this, along the same lines if you do increase the volume of air entering the intake i would think the ecu would need to be remapped to account for this (i may be wrong there) what type of external blower are you talking about? the small electric type found on ebay? cgi.ebay.co.uk... hash=item255794e11c
i would be very dubious of these, real turbos spin at extremely high rpms and the elctric fans dont, they are universaly slated as utter rubbish by most petrol heads (however that doesnt mean they are lol)
turbo kits for your car are quite expensive, if it were mine id add an uprated exhaust, look into getting an ecu remap and maybe some cams or the easiest way to make it faster would be to do an engine swap for a type r engine (assuming it is not already a type r)
sorry if ive gone completely off topic and make no sense...

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sileighty
hi, im not sure if i understand what you want to do exactly, are you trying to achieve a turbo/supercharged effect? the problems i can see are that by bypassing the air flow meter you will be putting unmetered air in to the engine, the ecu may not like this, along the same lines if you do increase the volume of air entering the intake i would think the ecu would need to be remapped to account for this (i may be wrong there) what type of external blower are you talking about? the small electric type found on ebay? cgi.ebay.co.uk... hash=item255794e11c
i would be very dubious of these, real turbos spin at extremely high rpms and the elctric fans dont, they are universaly slated as utter rubbish by most petrol heads (however that doesnt mean they are lol)
turbo kits for your car are quite expensive, if it were mine id add an uprated exhaust, look into getting an ecu remap and maybe some cams or the easiest way to make it faster would be to do an engine swap for a type r engine (assuming it is not already a type r)
sorry if ive gone completely off topic and make no sense...

^THIS, is one incredibly well put post sir. Yes unmetered air into the system would be horrible and if the ECU isn't set to deal with said air you will be running horrendously lean.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
This is a rather old post, but maybe you'll occasion it again. I used to own a '99 Acura Integra. Great car BTW don't be stupid, and get rid of it like I did. I had a cold air intake probably similar or identicle to the one you have. I believe the vacuum ports you are referring to are before the MAP sensor so you wouldn't hurt anything by injecting air here as long as it was filtered. On the other hand you wouldn't be accomplishing anything either. Turbos pressurize the intake plenum to accomplish their increases. Simply blowing air into the intake won't really do anything. You could however exploit those ports for other cool stuff that will make it go faster. Like a simple NOS dry shot system. The easiest way to get some extra Umph out of it would be to put a programmer on it. U2U me I actually carry a nice one that will give you about 10 horse, and better tip in throttle response. It's only $200, and you can install it yourself in about 10 minutes, only has 4 wires that go to your OBD II port. It makes the ECU look up different addresses. There are more powerful ones, but they cost A LOT more, and take up to a week to properly install, and tune, and you couldn't begin to install it yourself. You also get A LOT more power out of them too though. The engine in your little car is capable of producing a lot more power than the ECU will let it. That's a dynamite little motor.

new topics

top topics

join