It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brilliant minds at the Fed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Well, those genius minds at the Fed have had a meeting recently - and anyone who knows anything about economics will find the following quotes amusing, bear in mind these were not made in Feb or March - they were made this month.

Federal Reserve officials said record-low interest rates might fuel “excessive” speculation in financial markets and possibly dislodge expectations for low inflation, according to minutes of their meeting released today.

“Members noted the possibility that some negative side effects might result from the maintenance of very low short-term interest rates for an extended period,” minutes of the Nov. 3-4 meeting said, “including the possibility that such a policy stance could lead to excessive risk-taking in financial markets or an unanchoring of inflation expectations.”

www.bloomberg.com...

I fear there was a real danger of my head exploding when I read these statements, if they had included one more 'might' or 'possibility' - then my head would have certainly surpassed designer specifications for the consumption of stupidity.

Truly - I could not think of anything more inane come out of ANYONES mouth - let alone from the Fed officials.

What has been happening since March this year? With PE ratios over 100, equities rallied in a contradiction of all common sense, and underlying conditions - perhaps this was due to the Fed giving away free money? Perhaps - maybe?

Now - they are saying, perhaps free money might encourage people make silly bets on stuff - at some future time? Perhaps - it might lead to higher inflation?

All anyone has to do is point at the gold price - is that something that MIGHT POSSIBLY MAYBE go up at some future date? Or did it happen already?

I am dumb struck - literally - these guys are like so many headless chickens, how can they expect anyone to take them seriously when they open their mouths and PUBLICLY reveal themselves for morons?

They had the audacity to say 'they see this as a low probability' .. ?? Something that has already happened might-possibly-maybe happen at some future date?

If they were just trying to be tricky - if this was supposed to be disinfo from the Fed - then they could have at least thought of something that sounded remotely intelligent.

[edit on 26-11-2009 by Amagnon]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I think that with the mention of record low interest rates that they're referring to the Dollar carry trade. Similar to what had happened with the Yen when Japan lowered interest rates to near zero.

join