It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secrets Within Cosmic Dust

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

The Secrets Within Cosmic Dust

www.smithsonianmag.com

At the threshold of a sterile lab at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, I pull on a white clean-room suit, a surgical cap and mask, booties and latex gloves. My host, a mineralogist named Mike Zolensky, swabs my digital voice recorder with alcohol to remove flakes of skin and pocket lint. He doesn't want any detritus to contaminate the precious dust in the room.

Once inside, Zolensky retrieves a palm-size glass box from a cabinet. The box holds a rectangular chunk, less than two inches across, of eerily translucent material. I lean in and squint at it but can't quite focus on anythi
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
stardust.jpl.nasa.gov
upload.wikimedia.org
upload.wikimedia.org
upload.wikimedia.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Detailed picture of comet's heart
Discovery: Life Hardwired in the Universe - The DNA Code
Comets-Not What you thought

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Here's another One! A $200,000,000.00 Boondoggle, waste of taxpayer money, lame attempt to justify a redictulous hypothesis about the origins of "comets"(dirty snowballs, HA!), Which in actuality are pieces of imploded planetary bodies (Planet V(Asteroid Belt), and others(Kuiper Belt)another imploded planetary body).

It's just redictulous that they keep pounding incorrect theories on our heads just so they don't have to admit their WRONG!

Look at These photos, Do Any of them LOOK like "dirty snowballs", NOT!

The "Tails" on comets is DUST blowing off the piece of rock, not "Water".(intersteller water vapor, would not be visible anyway, it would disperse so rapidly in "a vacuum" it could never be seen at all! Nor would it be present on a super-heated body with no atmospere/gravity strong enough to retain it").

"Deep Impact", did not find virtually ANY water what so ever! and yet they won't relent, they just say "the water is deep inside and we just can't get a reading from it!" or, "the water boiled off earlier".

The "amino Acids" found are remnants of the life that was on the solid/pre-implosion planetary body. Same as every other "Planetary body".

We have got to stop these Maniacs from robbing us blind! Send e-mails/letters/ requests to your Congressmen/Senators Pleading for them to "Stop The Madness!" The Science IS Settled,(unlike Al Gores Global Warming!) they are not dirty snowballs, get over it, go on to something else like mass producing high tech solar panels (like the ones they use on the space station) for use on private homes/businesses so we don't have to be at the mercy of the "Power Co.s'".

At $1000.00 per Home Solar Package,(mass produced) We could remove 200,000 homes "off the grid" and save billions of dollars in wasted electricity bills/production costs of said elect./saved a couple trillions gallons of water flowing through hydro-electric turbines, etc. ,etc., etc.. You get the picture!

Remember, these "Scientists" are the "nerds/geeks/pencil necks" you beat up in school, Now they use your hard earned tax dollar to support themselves! Ha! the jokes on you! Now lets stop them!

Thank You

www.smithsonianmag.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I agree. It's baloney to spend that much money on comet dust. It's not constructive in this age of reason and development. Furthering scientific knowledge would be more beneficial in areas of need, not in areas of want.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keymaster1

"Deep Impact", did not find virtually ANY water what so ever! and yet they won't relent, they just say "the water is deep inside and we just can't get a reading from it!" or, "the water boiled off earlier".

Really? Is that what they said?

Tempel 1 is usually a rather dim, weak comet with a water production rate of 16,000 tonnes per day. However, after the Deep Impact probe hit the comet this rate increased to 40,000 tonnes per day over the period 5-10 days after impact. Over the duration of the outburst, the total mass of water released by the impact was 250,000 tonnes.

www.redorbit.com...

[edit on 11/25/2009 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You don't think that they could be fudging the numbers/results to cover their butts?

They didn't actually sense/see/record or anything resembling "water", they found an increase in "x-ray emissions", these can be produced by a multitude of substances.

I am currently looking into this, just thought I would give a heads up first.
"Data" can and is manipulated by "scientists" on a daily basis, (Look at Global Warming Scandal" breaking now!)

Don't be naive, just remember, It's their livelihood/house/condo/rent/reputations that is on the line, again, you don't really think they would hesitate to fiddle with the instruments/readings in order to keep their jobs?

BTW I got the Deep impact quote from another earlier (from right after the actual time of experimentation) report, of course now I can't find it! Pooh!
I'll keep looking! Your article is from almost a year later, plenty of time to fiddle about. No offense.

The X-ray power output depends on both the water production rate from the comet and the flux of subatomic particles streaming out of the Sun as the solar wind. Using data from the ACE satellite, which constantly monitors the solar wind, the Swift team managed to calculate the solar wind flux at the comet during the X-ray outburst. This enabled them to disentangle the two components responsible for the X-ray emission.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Keymaster1

Two instruments (the Hawaii SMA and the SWAS in orbit) did not detect a significant amount of water as a result of the impact. SWAS had been detecting a steady but low production of water before the impact (as well as after). The SMA was not well suited to water detection.

Any research which requires extensive data processing and analysis (such as spectroscopy) takes a lot of time to get beyond the preliminary interpretation of data. Fortunately in the case of Deep Impact there was an array of instruments making the observations. Often the findings are not what is expected. The Spitzer telescope detected water as well as a bunch of stuff that was completed unexpected. That's the way science works. Often times slow, but it gets there.

In response to your comments about money being better spent; much of the technology now used (and the money spent developing it) in photovoltaic systems can be traced directly to space exploration applications. Should we stop that work now? Nothing else to be gained?

[edit on 11/25/2009 by Phage]

top topics

join