It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Math of Fly Eyes Could Overhaul Robot Vision

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f67dd320b88b.jpg[/atsimg]

By turning the brain cell activity underlying fly eyesight into mathematical equations, researchers have found an ultra-efficient method for pulling motion patterns from raw visual data.

Though they built the system, the researchers don’t quite understand how it works. But however mysterious the equations may be, they could still be used to program the vision systems of miniaturized battlefield drones, search-and-rescue robots, automobile navigation systems and other systems where computational power is at a premium.

Quite a interesting read found here

“We started with insect vision as an inspiration, and built a model that’s feasible for real-world use, but in doing so, we’ve built a system almost as complicated as the insect’s,” said O’Carroll. “That’s one of the fascinating things here. It doesn’t necessarily lead us to a complete understanding of how the system works, but to an appreciation that nature got it right.”

I think we can learn alot from the natural design. It truely goes to show just how complex life on earth can be. Whether you believe in creationism, intelligent design, or whatever, you have to appreciate the majesty of life on our little blue planet!

-E-

[edit on 12-11-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
O.k. I don't know how you got a picture of my mom but just stop eavesdropping right now.

It wasn't a secret.. science just hadn't discovered it yet.

Seriously though, that is pretty cool.. You know many times our study of the world around us teaches us of things like this that we then go on to use in industry. Good story.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I'm sure your mom is.. uh.. has a great personality... Kiddin. What i love is that we live in a time where there are still things to be discovered. Take gravity for example, it is the most fundamental force on planet earth, but we are yet to know what makes it work. It is the same case with the fly eye. We don't know how or why, we just knowit works!

-E-

[edit on 12-11-2009 by MysterE]

new topics

join