It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Captures Sparkling ‘Jewel Box’ Star Cluster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

This stunning image of the Kappis Crucis Cluster, nicknamed the “Jewel Box,” was one of the last gifts from a retiring camera on the Hubble Space Telescope.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d499c0ccd56c.jpg[/atsimg]
Full size from article: www.wired.com...

Just before NASA brought the Wide Field Planetary Camera 2 back to Earth in mid-2009, it snapped this photo of the core of the NGC 4755 star cluster, the first comprehensive image of an open galactic cluster taken in multiple wavelengths. Using seven different filters, Hubble captured the Jewel Box cluster in far ultraviolet to near-infrared light. The different colors of the stars — from pale blue to bright ruby red — result from their differing intensities at various ultraviolet wavelengths.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/edde42790f1d.jpg[/atsimg]
Full size from article: www.wired.com...

Image 1: NASA/ESA and Jesús Maíz Apellániz/Instituto de Astrofísica de Andalucía, Spain. Image 2: ESO, NASA/ESA, Digitized Sky Survey 2 and Jesús Maíz Apellániz/Instituto de Astrofísica de Andalucía, Spain.

SOURCE: www.wired.com...

Wow, wow, wow. That's amazing.

What a wonderful universe we live in.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

Absolutely Beautiful

Thank you for posting this

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by gravytrain

Not a problem.

I find the 35-mm shot the most fascinating from the large image. All the beauty that lies in that small square. Fascinating.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Already been stated but again its beautiful, thanks for posting this!

S&F When I get a chance later I will have a closer inspection of the images and post more.

Have the best day

themuse

[edit on 29/10/2009 by themuse]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by themuse
Already been stated but again its beautiful, thanks for posting this!

S&F When I get a chance later I will have a closer inspection of the images and post more.

Have the best day

themuse

[edit on 29/10/2009 by themuse]

Cheers. What i found amazing aswell is in the 35-mm shot the camera is zooming into one of the less bright areas, there are other areas which are much more congested and luminous. It only leaves you to wonder what else is there to see.

new topics

top topics

join