It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'We have broken speed of light'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   

A pair of German physicists claim to have broken the speed of light - an achievement that would undermine our entire understanding of space and time.

According to Einstein's special theory of relativity, it would require an infinite amount of energy to propel an object at more than 186,000 miles per second.

Has Einstein been proven wrong? According to the scientists involved, a bizarre consequence of this could be:

For instance, an astronaut moving faster than it would theoretically arrive at a destination before leaving.

But, of course, the would first have to be broken down into sub-atomic particles before this "quantum tunneling" could take place.

L ink

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I think this is a duplicate

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GW8UK

I have not seen another post on this topic, but I am happy to have it closed if so. Do you have the link to the other post?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Indeed, I have done more research and found that this is not something that happened recently - but is the first time I have come across it.

I have a particular interest in Quantum Physics from a layman's point of view - in particular the practical applications of quantum physics in our day to day lives.

The understanding of Nimtz and Stahlhoven is that tunneling is the one and only observed violation of special relativity[5] but according to them, that is not a violation of causality: due to the temporal extent of every signal it is impossible to transport information into the past. They claim that tunneling can be explained with virtual photons like Richard Feynman predicted.[6]

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join