It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the most important event in the Earth's history.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by president
So what was the most important event in the Earth's history. What was the one event that most significantly changed the course of everything that was to follow?
Personally, I have to say it was Columbus landing in America. Before that, most of the world held a strong belief that the world was flat. (I think) and after, all the science changed. (but I don't know much history.)

I think the event that most significantly changed the course of everything that was to follow was the creation of the bible and the life of J.C

I mean, imagine what the world would be like without religion or with religion but not being as important as it is. I mean, there are wars started over religion, terrorist attacks being planned because of it etc etc etc

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Maybe the day custard won waterloo.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

1. Creation
  2. the Deluge [hundreds of ancient people tell the story of the Great Flood...

I'm no Fundamentalist...recovering Catholic, AAMOF...but A)something had to Create this [and I use the term "thing" loosely]; B) the history of a Great Flood is everywhere in the Ancient World
Noah rounding up two of each and reseeding the planet? Allegorical at best. Torrential, cataclysmic Floods. Seems factual.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
The sacrifice of God's Son Jesus Christ, and the knowledge that that sacrifice saves one from ultimate death.

The world would not be what it is today without the good that comes from that.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I'll give a couple, as I feel they lead to where we are today.
1) When man first realized that the moon progressed through monthly phases.
2) When the "Gods" came to Earth and taught man to be "civilized."
3) When man developed the Atomic Bomb which alerted the "Gods" to the fact that man has developed to a point worthy of further interaction.
4) Not sure, but coming pretty soon.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
How about the invention of the printing press?
The beginning of the information age.

[edit on 10/28/2009 by Pauligirl]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
If Columbus didn't discover America, I'm sure someone would of eventually had.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
THE greatest day in history....hasn't happened...yet !

.......but it is not far away

when TRUTH from the KING of KINGS floods the earth....

...with LOVE

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
Maybe the day custard won waterloo.

That has to be my favorite quote in a long time here. It's too bad he melted in the water, or else he would have ruled the globe.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The most important event? The invention of the wheel.

Sorry this is such a short post...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I agree that the Second Coming of Christ after the Tribulation would be the GREATEST DAY IN HISTORY and the most frightening event EVER for unbelievers.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I knew somebody was going to mention the dinosaurs, but the creation of the earth itself, the development of life, the creation of the moon, way too deep.

Zaiger - I hope that's your real name, it's kind of racy.
But seriously, thanks for that info. I always feel a little guilty giving Columbus credit for "discovering" America.
I guess it would be kind of like giving Neil Armstrong credit for "discovering" the moon.

Gerg357 - first off, excelent avatar.
I KNEW someone would mention the atomic bomb. that was indeed one of the most important events in man's history. probably as important as the invention of fire, the wheel, (which somebody mentioned) and the internet (which somebody else mentioned.)

suprised to see that nobody mentioned any wars, but a few people mentioned god and jesus. I wonder, was Jesus' birth or death more important? second coming dosen't count if it hasn't hapened yet.

I don't know. I'm an idiot.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Poor Johannes Gutenberg....doesn't anyone realise that we are communicating now the way we do, and think the ways we do -- all because of the invention of movable type?

My vote would have to at least INCLUDE: AD 1444 - when a humble little olive press was shall we say converted to something that RADICALLY paved the way for the kinds of freedom of thought (and PRINTED discussions of biblical texts and interpretations) that led to the Reformation, the transfer of knowledge from the clutches of 3% of the population to a much larger percentage which led to the developments of the Enlightenment (including printed Music-where would the great Haydn and Mozart be without their well thumbed Italian printed copies of Fux' Gradus ad Parnassum?) all the way to the Internet and to the coming 2012 consciousness shift...

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I'd say the most important moment was when human beings first started to bury their dead ,sing ,write ,create ,make music etc..

This shift may well have happened further back in time than the paragraph below mentions but it makes a very good point about how scientists view it as “the greatest riddle in human history'.

The evolution of modern humans has taken more than five million years but until less than 50,000 years ago we had no art, no religion, no sophisticated symbolism, no creative and innovative thinking, and quite possibly no language. Then, a dramatic and electrifying change overtook our ancestors in every part of the globe, and all the skills and qualities that we value most highly in ourselves today appeared suddenly, already fully formed, as though bestowed on us by hidden powers. Scientists describe this change as “the greatest riddle in human history”.

www.grahamhancock.com...

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I will go with the extinction of the dinasaurs and the flood which I think was a simultaneous event when Earth nearly died.

"When the Earth Nearly Died carefully documents the fascinating story - which has never been told before in such detail - of how this Golden Age of peaceful conditions and equable climates ended traumatically in a tremendous catastrophe about 11,500 years ago. This was part of a cataclysm which disturbed the whole solar system, destroyed at least one sizable planet and its satellite, and also severely devastated Mars and Earth.

Among the fundamental geophysical effects experienced by Earth were a massive fracturing of the crust, a realignment of Earth's axis, elevation of new mountains, and widespread rearrangement of land and sea. These changes were accompanied by an appalling global conflagration, a gigantic flood, and what has been described as 'collapsed sky' conditions. A bombardment by debris from the disintegrated satellite of the destroyed planet added to the worldwide chaos."

This article is very interesting. I have the book.

Cataclysm

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
The invention of the solid state transistor by William Shockley. It ushered in the age of electronics and computers, and kicked the rate of scientific knowledge development into overdrive. He received exactly 1 dollar for his invention from Bell Labs.

Imagine, one measly US dollar for the single invention that allowed human kind to expand our collective knowledge at an exponential rate, allowed people all over the world to communicate at the speed of light, and thus did more to create world harmony and improve every human being's quality of life than any other invention in history. Shockley got 1 dollar for his effort, and never complained nor sought fame for his work. He did more for the well-being of human kind than Jesus, Ghandi, and Buddha combined.

Every single one of the world's 6.8 billion people own him a debt of gratitude for significantly improving their lives. Yet sadly, I doubt that even 1/10 of 1% of the world's population even know who he is.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Well......I think maybe "sex" should be on the list....we would not be here without being able to have children.

How about the invention of electricity? Pretty important to those living now anyway. Maybe "fire" should on the short list as well.

On a more selfish note...the invention of "cleavage" is on my personal list of course.....just saying...

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by president
So what was the most important event in the Earth's history.

the coming of the Son of Man.

//ahem// I mean 'Morgellons'. (crappy name)

but yeah.. totally serious here.
you'll see.....

-

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchtheashes
I agree that the Second Coming of Christ after the Tribulation would be the GREATEST DAY IN HISTORY and the most frightening event EVER for unbelievers.

great- another loving and caring christian eagerly awaiting the athiests demise.

If Jesus comes back to save the world I'll eat my boot- ain't gonna happen

but whatever brings you solace- some of us live in the real world though and realise it is up to us to save ourselves.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
The collision of Theia with Earth which created the Moon - without which we'd have a less stable orbit and no tides, and probably no advanced life.

en.wikipedia.org...

(Though it's questionable whether we have any advanced life even now)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join