It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-Los Alamos lab physicist says home searched

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Ex-Los Alamos lab physicist says home searched

www.breitbart.com

Federal agents seized computers, papers, books and electronic equipment from the home of a former Los Alamos National Laboratory nuclear scientist, who last year sought to work on a fusion project with Venezuela but believes the U.S. government is wrongly targeting him as a spy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bradenton.com
www.gazettetimes.com
www.salon.com
www.daylife.com

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

P. Leonardo Mascheroni joined the northern New Mexico lab in 1979, and worked in its X Division, which designs nuclear weapons, until 1987. He was laid off in 1988.

He said he supports a hydrogen-fluoride laser to generate fusion, the energy source of the sun. That type of energy, he says, is cleaner, not radioactive and would produce a more reliable nuclear weapons stockpile.

It doesn't sound like he is a spy to me, of course I may be way wrong. I wonder if they are harassing him because of something else he worked on. Either way it would be nice to figure out the ins and outs of fission already.

-E-

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-10-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Well people should be free to work any where their expertise is needed, this however hits the grey area because look at where Venezuela is now and where the mans expertise ends, it could be that he is not a spy, but does our country really want ex nuclear Scientists sharing?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I'm wondering if he knows more that cannot be talked about and it is making TPTB nervous

-E-

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I think it's time to create a new branch of the military to protect scientists. You know, they don't want violence, they just want to study and discover. So the military industrial complex can intimidate them easily.

I think I'll work on that. As soon as I have time. Oh wait I work too much just to survive to do anything meaningful with my life.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The actions being taken against the scientist are not because of anything he's done. This is about controlling technology and keeping certain promising types of alternative energy firmly under American control and out of production.

The US intelligence agencies have a secondary mission in protecting the financial interests of the US economy.

This is how they discourage scientists with technical skills and inside knowledge from taking those commodities abroad. They have no issue with destroying people's careers or even arranging a permanent retirement in order to accomplish that mission.

Unfortunately there's not much this one man is going to be able to do alone. He can be labeled a spy or even a terrorist in the media tomorrow and that will be the last we'll ever hear about him.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Well what I was saying is that Venezuela is now where we were prior to when this Scientist got fired, so he may have just what they need to continue their Nuclear advancements and that make s the PTB nervous.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by antar]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The problem is that Los Alamos has had numerous security breeches in the last decade and the thought of sensitive data falling into the hands of a lunatic is enough to make any sensible person nervous.

I doubt that a warrant could have been issued based solely on a history of security breeches, though.

There'd have to be more.

He said that in the fall of 2007, he approached the Venezuelan government—along with physics departments at universities in England and France—to see about a job to pursue his work. He was contacted in February 2008 by a man who said he represented the Venezuelan government and wanted to learn about starting a weapons program.

The two met twice at a Los Alamos hotel for a total of 90 minutes, Mascheroni said.

"I never passed information which I consider classified to a reporter or to Congress or to anybody," Mascheroni said. "The information I passed is information I got from the Internet."

Mascheroni said he provided the man with a CD containing unclassified information widely available on the Internet. He said he hoped the Venezuelan government would hire him to work on his hydrogen-fluoride laser fusion project in New Mexico, which would help him prove his case to Congress.

He asked that $400,000 be deposited into his Los Alamos bank account, but he was never paid.

The Associated Press

This was not a prudent move.

[edit on 2009/10/21 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

join