It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Teenage warriors' discovered in terracotta army

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
'Teenage warriors' discovered in terracotta army

XI'AN: Beardless warriors had been discovered among China's terracotta army, providing evidence of the youthful ages of some soldiers when the army was created more than 2,000 years ago.

Link
Terracotta Warriors Discovery transform finder's lives(Xinhua)

Updated: 2009-10-13 Updated Link

Terracotta warriors from the No 1 pit are on display in the Museum of Terracotta Warriors and Horses

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Interesting. Perhaps they are women maybe?

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

Don't think so... the bodies of the terracotta warriors were standardized. They're all male, but the faces and weaponry are distinct.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Perhaps they used Nair?
Just kidding.

I have a few friends who can't grow a beard to save their life. Perhaps some of the sculptors had the same issue and felt like they must be represented in the army as well.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Or perhaps, given that the average life expectancy was between 30 and 50 years back then, there were some who chose the military life as soon as they entered adulthood?

I mean, there's 16-19 year olds in the army today.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Wariors? or were these youngsters training for a military career...
performing tasks like 'Pages' or 'attendants' to the generals when not in formal schooling lessons?

there's too much evidence & tradition which more-or-less does not allow tender youth to engage in military combat in the Orient...

only the dark ages of europeans conscripted Youth

~IMHO~

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Think there were many very young men fighting in the U.S. Revolutionary War, not so sure they were recruited but lied about their age because they wanted to fight.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Only Europeans conscripted Youth?

That isn't even true TODAY. Let alone when the average lifespan was 25.

When you want to win, or when you REALLY don't want to use, everyone becomes a warrior.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

i agree

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider

Don't think so... the bodies of the terracotta warriors were standardized. They're all male, but the faces and weaponry are distinct.

Not true.

The bodies were just as distinct as the faces. So this means if they look like young males then they were young males. This shouldn't be surprising considering the period. Having slightly younger soldiers to grow and age while in the military would have it's advantages. By the time they would have reached maturity they would be well indoctrinated into military life complete with combat training etc.

Bodies of the terracotta warriors

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/64d5c94e63de.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/52a39670b872.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e0639c058914.jpeg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
From what I have seen of the faces none of them look like teenagers to me, in fact look like very mature men. Great pics.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
From what I have seen of the faces none of them look like teenagers to me, in fact look like very mature men. Great pics.

I was referring to the ones that have not been shown yet discussed in the link. The pics I've posted were for a demonstration of the "standardized" body claim.

We have not yet seen an example of the young ones.

top topics

join