It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great quotes: Psychology, Philosophy and Metaphysics

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
"Recognize now or realize later"

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Friedrich Nietzsche

I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates

“Philosophy is the science which considers truth”
Aristotle

“The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it.”
Bertrand Russell

“In philosophy, it is not the attainment of the goal that matters, it is the things that are met along the way”
Havelock Ellis

“History is philosophy teaching by example.”
Dionysius

“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
Carl Gustav Jung

“If one does not understand a person, one tends to regard him as a fool.”
Carl Gustav Jung

“The more I study physics, the more I am drawn to metaphysics.”
Albert Einstein

“These questions used to be just the subjects of philosophy or metaphysics. Now that we can try with scientific methods, we hope to continue the tradition.”
Hitoshi Murayama

Metaphysics is the restaurant where they give you food for thought"
Arthur Tugman

“To regard the imagination as metaphysics is to think of it as part of life, and to think of it as part of life is to realize the extent of artifice. We live in the mind.”
Wallace Stevens

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
"Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." - Carl Jung

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Heres a favorite of mine.

"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves like locked rooms and like books that are written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer.”

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
We should not seek revenge on those who have committed crimes against us, or reply to their crimes with other crimes. We should reflect that by the law of karma, they are in danger of lowly and miserable lives to come, and that our duty to them, as to every being, is to help them to rise towards Nirvana, rather than let them sink to lower levels of rebirth.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
We should not seek revenge on those who have committed crimes against us, or reply to their crimes with other crimes. We should reflect that by the law of karma, they are in danger of lowly and miserable lives to come, and that our duty to them, as to every being, is to help them to rise towards Nirvana, rather than let them sink to lower levels of rebirth.

His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Thank you Aquarius I really needed to see that today. It is so easy to get distracted. The traps and snares of emotion and desire can make you forgot how much more we are then this world.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

"What does a fish know about the water in which it swims"

Albert Einstein

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Devastating Truth

You are very welcome, I also needed it, in fact most days.

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
We confuse attachment with love. Attachment is concerned with my needs, my happiness, while love is an unselfish attitude, concerned with the needs and happiness of others.... A relationship free of unrealistic grasping is free of disappointment, conflict, jealousy, and other problems, and is fertile ground for the growth of love and wisdom.

Kathleen McDonald, "How to Meditate"

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

...and though the generous benefactors of the human race are thus deprived of the applause of the world, they have the noble pleasure of seeing their work prosper in their hands."
~ Adam Weishaupt

-

[edit on 17-10-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."
Andre Gide

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
"The world is full of suffering, but it is also full of the overcoming of suffering"
-Helen Keller

posted on Oct, 17 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
"Just look at us,everything is backwards;everything is upside down.Doctors destroy health,lawyers destroy justice,universities destroy knowledge,governments destroy freedom,the major media destroys information and religions destroy spirituality."
American Writer Michael Ellner

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
"Only human beings have come to a point where they no longer know why they exist. They don't use their brains and they have forgotten the secret knowledge of their bodies, their senses, or their dreams. They don't use the knowledge the spirit has put into every one of them; they are not even aware of this, and so they stumble along blindly on the road to nowhere -- a paved highway which they themselves bulldoze and make smooth so that they can get faster to the big empty hole which they'll find at the end, waiting to swallow them up. It's a quick comfertable superhighway, but I know where it leads to. I've seen it. I've been there in my vision and it makes me shudder to think about it." - the Lakota shaman Lame Deer, Lame Deer Seeker of Visions

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I got quite a collection. Here are my favourites:

"Peace is war. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength." - George Orwell

The more alike the enemy becomes, the more different he will appear.

Apologizing does not mean that you are wrong and the other person is right.
It means you value the relationship more than your ego.

"If you were a booger ill pick you first" (HEHE)

"Mutual fear brings peace, the doubt of being rich brings pity, and life without death is not worth living" - Sharan Dhanjani

"Men do less than they ought,
Unless they do all they can." - Thomas Carlyle

"If you aren't going all the way why go at all?" - Joe Namath

"I better not see you praying! I don't want god to get credit for this." - House

"We are not the victims of our problems, but merely the creators"- Suze Orman

Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and hoping the other person will die.

If you let someone kick you once, they'll kick you once. If you let someone kick you three times, they'll kick you three times, but if you reach out and break that guy's foot, ain't no more kickin' gonna be goin' on.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett

Amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

It is better to die living than live dying.

And the best (and scariest) for last.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
"I saw faces coming towards me, but all were the same face... All were my face. I was not the center of the cosmos. I was the cosmos itself."

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
I thought I'd start a thread to collect quotes that would fit in this forum. I'll start.

This one has always intreagued me:

"Confucius and you are both dreams, and I who say you are dreams am a dream myself. This is a paradox. Tomorrow a wise man may explain it; that tomorrow will not be for ten thousand generations."
—Chuang Tse: II

I just said this one in the other quotation thread:

"Humans need to understand the Physical manifestation is not the begining nor end, just as the grass withers and dies while the love and the light of the One Infinite Creator redounds to the very infinite realms of creation forever and ever, creating and creating itself in perpetuity.

Why then be concerned with the grass that blooms, withers and dies in its season only to grow once again due to the infinite love and light of the One Creator? This is the message we bring. Each entity is only superficially that which blooms and dies. In the deeper sense there is no end to being-ness."

-Ra

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Give it all up,
Give it all up!

Not yet, not yet!
Not yet, not yet!
I still wanna do a thing or two,
I still wanna do a thing or two.

Give it all up,
Give it all up,
and a thing or two will happen to you,
and a thing or two will happen to you.

-Matti Klarwein

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I think I shall deposit another quote on this thread...one of my favorites that comes to mind occasionally while I am here at ATS.

"A foolish consistency is the Hob Goblins of little minds, adored by little statesmen, philosophers and divines."

Emerson

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008
I think I shall deposit another quote on this thread...one of my favorites that comes to mind occasionally while I am here at ATS.

"A foolish consistency is the Hob Goblins of little minds, adored by little statesmen, philosophers and divines."

Emerson

Always liked that. Along similar lines:

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
-Walt Whitman

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join