It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet CCTV game offers to solve crimes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Internet CCTV game offers to solve crimes

www.thisisexeter.co.uk

A NEW Internet game has been launched which allows "super snooper" players to plug into the nation's CCTV cameras and snitch on real-life members of the public committing crimes.
Launched by a company based at Dawlish, Internet Eyes involves players scouring thousands of CCTV cameras installed in shops, businesses and town centres across Britain looking for law-breakers.
Players who help catch the most criminals each month will win cash prizes up to £1,000.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
interneteyes.co.uk

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
How does a reward of £1000 a month sound?
Internet Eyes with its uniquely designed OCTV software is now offering you that chance.

Viewers are anonymously monitoring random video feeds streamed from privately owned establishments. At no time can Viewers designate or control the video feeds they receive and the locations of the feeds are not disclosed.

The instant a Viewer monitors an event, an alert can be sent directly to the owner of that live camera feed. The alert is sent along with a screen grab, identifying the image you have observed. Only the first alert received by the camera owner is accepted.

The camera owner will then feedback (rate) the result of the alert. Their feedback is converted into points and entered into a Viewers monthly league table. At the end of each month the highest scoring Viewer will receive the reward money; this could be split in the event of a tie.
Viewers register for free with no recurring fees. Each Viewer has 3 x alerts per month allocated to their account for free. Viewers are able to ‘top up’ their alerts through PayPal if they so desire. The free allocations of alerts are limited to prevent system abuse.
"Internet eyes" goes live Nov 09

www.thisisexeter.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I'm glad you referred to it as a 'game', because from what I can tell, its just another money making scam.

The idea behind it seems to be legit, but in order to win the prize, you need to be top of the alert points league table.
Camera owners who join the scheme rate an alert with a maximum of 3 points if it results in a positive move helping to prevent or catch a crime.
With only 3 alerts for free, if you want to stand any chance of being top of the league to 'win' the £1000 'reward', you're gonna have to spend your own hard earned cash.

It's a win-win for the company behind it, charging camera owners for the service, with punters paying to do the monitoring work for them.

Incidently, there is a more established thread here;
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ltroonster

Ummm.

Lets hypothetically say that everything is clear cut here regarding terrorism etc and there is a threat of homegrown incidents and so on.

What is to stop terrorists using this as surveillance equipment for their next attacks??

What is in place to even stop someone using this to spot security flaws in places of business that have cash on site?

[edit on 14-10-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O
reply to post by ltroonster

What is to stop terrorists using this as surveillance equipment for their next attacks??

Well they seem to have some protection against that.

Viewers will not know the location or owners of the cameras they are viewing, and will have no choice as to which images they can monitor.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by fieldfly

A hacker would not have problems finding that one out though.

Just seems that this is yet another idea that was thrown at the wall and stuck by chance instead of actually thinking about it.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Those are exactly not what I thought of, but a star for you! I was discussing this with my office mate and we realized this is just one more step toward a "Bigger Brother". If everyone is snitching on everyone else what kind of trust can we put in people then??

I'm friending you XX.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by memarf1
reply to post by XXXN3O

Those are exactly not what I thought of, but a star for you! I was discussing this with my office mate and we realized this is just one more step toward a "Bigger Brother". If everyone is snitching on everyone else what kind of trust can we put in people then??

I'm friending you XX.

Thanks.

Ive added yourself as well.

I do think that this country is becoming a gestapo captains wet dream.

Shame really.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
When I read this in my local paper I was horrified...I live in Dawlish...

This is making policemen/women of us all which is just what the government want. Some councils even employ people to spy on each other and report on who is putting their rubbish out on the wrong day etc., for heavens sake.

We have opened the door to an Orwellian world, maybe his prediction of every tv having a camera in it for us to be spied on, is not too far from the truth.

Some day soon we are going to have to make a real stand against this otherwise we ignore it at our peril.

new topics

top topics

join