It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10,000 apply for 90 factory jobs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I work in a restaurant here in Louisville, and a lot of my co-workers are college graduates who can't find work in their field. Several of them tell me they're putting out all kinds of applications but rarely get a call back for an interview.

Competition for jobs is so high right now that one gal I work with who just graduated from college last year said she can't even get a job as a nurse's aide. It wasn't but a few years ago that almost every hospital and nursing home were having trouble getting people to apply for those and then to keep the jobs once they got them. I know because I worked in a hospital as my 2nd job for 10 years.

A former co-worker and friend of mine has been looking for a restaurant management job for over 6 months now and has yet to get a job even though he has 20 years experience at our company, and 8 of those years were in management. It used to that it was fairly easy to get a job as a manager at a restaurant if you had any kind of experience, but he's having a terrible time of it.

Anyway, I just hope that after G.E. hires all those people that they don't end up laying them off soon. A gal I worked with at the hospital and her mother used to work there, and they were getting laid off all the time. But I guess for those folks who do get hired, they're better off...even if G.E. does lay off again.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpmail

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
Wow $27K per year? Who the hell can live on that? What a joke! I feel sorry for those people.

Man you have no idea, in the UK that equates to £17k a year. The average wage in the UK is between £11k and £16k so most people here would be happy to work for that.

Cost of living is pretty high in the US despite what some may think. Mortgage, car payment, insurance, insurance, insurance, utilities, food (very expensive anymore), gas, clothes (lord help em if they've got kids).. Taxes- fed,state,local,social security,gas tax,sales tax,property tax,school taxes,cigarette,soda,free speech tax... the list goes on and is steady getting longer.

No. It's not that much and there are 11,910 people in line behind them with no jobs.

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
Wow $27K per year? Who the hell can live on that? What a joke! I feel sorry for those people.

That's roughly the average wage in Kentucky? Middle class.

You can buy a decent house in the 100's easily there.

But indeed, this is just another testiment to how bad the economy is in some areas. Hope all those people find work somewhere..

new topics

<< 1   >>

join