It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CALLING ALL AMERICANS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I received this in an email this morning. Do you think this would really work or just drive the price higher?

CALLING ALL AMERICAN PEOPLE. THE NEXT THING TO A "BOSTON TEA PARTY". IT WORKED FOR THEM.

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.

AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.

THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT TO THEM" DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.

WAITING ON THIS ADMIINSTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!

WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
This is something I have been thinking for years. Let em know we are pissed,and are not going to pay there inflated,uncontrolled prices anymore. But I say go one step further. Not one day...but a whole week. Shut everything down. Don't buy gas,go to work, don't buy anything from the stores. Hit em where it hurts...there wallets.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
That sounds good in theory.....but won't that just make them jack the prices even higher so they can recover from their loss?

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
It is a good idea, in theory. But it would never work. Not everyone in the US would cooperate. Not even half. May 19 is way too soon, I didnt hear about this until two days before, so Im sure alot of other people havent heard about it.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Might want to take a look at this:

LINK

It lays out the facts. Bottom line, it will take more than just a single day to get them to even consider changing the price.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Someone at work got the same email and came to me about it. I really don't think a drop in sales for one day would do anything as the days before and after would have a rise in sales as per the average day. It would all balance out as we are too dependent on automobiles.

edit: spelling

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by Jonna]

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Well Thanks for the info COOL HAND............

That answers my question.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
From COOL HAND's link:

Not buying gas on a designated day may make people feel a bit better about things by providing them a chance to vent their anger at higher gasoline prices, but the action won't have any real impact on retail prices.

That's good enough for me! May 19th it is!

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Hey, I'll do it. I have to put gas when I'll leave today, so I'm pretty sure I can join the boycot on Wenesday.

Hope it have a small impact, at least...

A whole week? That would be crazy, but THAT would really pissed them off. But there's no way everybody would participate, there's just too many businesses that wouldn't care and carry on as normal.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
thas a good idea lets do it.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I've seen various forms of this chain letter over the past year...each with a different date as they come and go.

I think it started around the beginning of the war. But bottom line, it's out there in so many edited versions now, there's no set date to do it.

Like I said the date has come and gone several times.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Take a look at the link that COOL HAND provided.

Basically, it says that if you fuel up before the date you aren't really being apart of the stand off. You are still handing them money...just a day or two earlier. Nyeff's idea for doing it for a week would have a better effect but the small, privately owned stations are going to suffer the most.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Yeah...but my car does not run on water, and I'm 30 km from home so...

That doesn't leave me much choices lol.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
"We are asking all Americans to stay away from the gasoline pumps this Wednesday, letting one full 24 period go by with not one single drop of gasoline being pumped into Americas� vehicles"

It's not going to work!! People will still buy gas, What must be done is to boycott a single suppler, when that suppler loose's money they will be forced to lower prices, and in turn the other supplers will follow suit just to compete:w:

D

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I'm not too sure whether that'd work
You might want to check this out Snopes.com

new topics

top topics

join