It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google going to far?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
At first like many people i used google. It was simple a logo and a place to search the web nothing fancy, but now I am trying to get away. With their things like google adwords, google earth and now google street view they are crossing the line of the law and are bringing the real world way too close to the web. Here are a few things i have had a problem with.
Google Adwords
Google has a program you can pay for called google adwords, here is the way it works. Say you sell shoes on your website. You pay google to put your website on the top in the sponsored links area for searches on "shoes". The cost of this ranges from pennies to $25.00, it sounds like a good idea but it is not when you give it another look. Say you own a restaurant and your place serves Sprite and your place is called "ATS Diner" . So the key words you might add are "diner" "diner that serves sprite" "sprite" maybe the names of some meals you serve at your place. Here is the problem "sprite" is a trademark and google is selling it to you and taking the money. If you had a business that had some product that was yours and the trademark was, lets call it the "ATS 5000" and that was your invention and your product, your trademark. Google could be selling your trade mark to your competition. So the guy that sells the knock off of your product the "AT$ 5" all he has to do is add the "ATS 500" keyword to his adword account and he will be showing up in the sponsored links section on google. How does google want you to fight this? Pay them to use YOUR trade mark. How should you fight it? Take them to court, they will lose. All you have to do is get a friend to add your trademark and get proof (screen shot) that google sold something that was your to someone else.
Google Earth and Street View
This big brother in the making and needs little explanation. I had a chance to talk with Ray Bradbury at a reading last year, I'm not sure if he was quoting something else but I'm reminded of what he said "The people wont fight big brother they will beg for him" which is so true now. Why did google streetview come about? Because so many people used google earth it looked like a good idea to take it a step further. So whats the next step from google street view, seems kinda nightmarish if you ask me. With all the google monitoring crap they are popping out, reality shows becoming increasingly popular and focusing more on day to day life i think it is only a matter of time before google has something like "Put our web cams in your house and host your own reality Web TV show". Sounds far fetched i know but street view would have sounded far fetched when you were a child.
As far as the legal side it is legal to take photo graphs from the street, but with that in mind you could do the same.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
While I agree about the Street View, Google Earth is a decent tool. I find Bing's a little bit better, more details, etc. I'm sure Google will catch up eventually.

As for the AdWords, and AdSense...these are two programs that are great for web developer's, or webmaster's to use. ATS uses Google AdWords to rake in extra cash. It's just sad that all of the links appear on the site are scam's. ATS's goals are obvious, whenever somebody types in something related to a specific conspiracy, links to ATS pop-up first, and rank high in the search results. This in turn will lead to page views generated from a slew of different keywords, thus leading to high-profile advertisers who will pay good money to ATS for a spot, whether it be in the background, at the top banner, etc. Not that I care either way, it's just the site is more of a business than a place to discuss anymore, and it all stems from Google's monopoly on search engine tech.

Speaking of scam's, another problem is these "Google Money Tree" "Google Cash Box" and other scam's that are showing up, posing as Google. These are becoming a huge problem in the flailing economy, and have been suckering in desperate, out-of-work citizens. You have probably seen the ads for these places, where people hold up the $7500 check from Google and say "I MAKE $7500 A MONTH WOOOO." These scams are all linked to this really strange Utah, Mormon cult...it would be worth it's own thread.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DocEmrick

Scammers will always find a way to scam, the google money tree scam has nothing to do with google. If you have a problem with a "strange mormon cult" then post it in CiR, i think that board is devoted to people bickering about religion.
I think ATS is using adsense to rake in a few bucks but that has not been working out to well. There is a whole thread called the ad hit list where the ads google puts in are taken out by request. On a thread where people are talking about things like the NWO and banks because of all the people using the term banks an ad for a bank is likely to show up.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Here is the funny part what does this bar code read.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Im not sure and i do not really care to be honest. I grew sick of the google logo threads when they started in with putting the UFO on it. there were at least 10 threads a day started which all could be summed up as "OMG a UFO"

top topics

join