It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada - Hypocrisy in the future Police State!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Source

The federal justice minister is considering a new law that would allow police to conduct random breathalyzer tests on drivers, regardless of whether they suspect motorists have been drinking. Justice Minister Rob Nicholson raised the prospect recently at a meeting of Mothers Against Drunk Driving, according to MADD chief executive Andrew Murie. If random testing were to be adopted, it would be a major change to Canada's 40-year-old breathalyzer legislation, which stipulates that police may only administer a test if they suspect a driver has been drinking.

If this is put into legislation the Police will have powers to randomly breathalyze anyone instead of having 'reasonable cause' to do so.

For those unfamiliar with Canada, we currently have what is called a 'RIDE' program. The police set up road blocks along stretches of busy streets and quickly interview each car asking whether or not the driving has consumed any alcohol. Blood shot or glassy eyes, the smell of alcohol, or obvious impairment gives the officer the right to breathalyze the driver.

If this is turned into approved legislation they will be able to breathalyze absolutely anyone at anytime.

Now, the immediate reaction to this is 'Good, people shouldn't drink and drive anyways...'

However, when the social mindset accepts laws like this that are in direct violation of the Constitution (Charter of Rights) the social consciousness is basically giving up their rights and freedoms to have an unlawful search executed on them. It makes the idea of ones rights second to 'finding the bad guy'. Once that mindset has become 'normal' or 'accepted' it makes it very easy for TPTB to introduce future legislation to that effect.

No personal rights or freedoms should be given up for any purpose whatsoever. Simple as that.

After making this thread, it was pointed out that another was already created on the same subject Here. Please go here to discuss the new law.

So instead of talking about that law, I bring you another news article that fits in with the one above.
Police themselves are being charged with drunk driving during the same time the government is enacting new laws to find citizens doing the same.

Should we not be holding our government officials to the same standard that the citizens are held to?. Should they not be subject to the same testing and same scrutiny that the people are held to?.

[edit on 5-10-2009 by threekings]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
ya right
firstly I find it stupid because most drunk drivers drive on the highway not the road and they aren't going to blockade the highway

secondly, blood shot eyes has to do with a certain substance that may have been smoked which I can't name due to ATS rules.
but anyone tired can have red eyes, I even have red eyes after cutting onions or garlic.

this is stupid, try this in Toronto, already so much traffic and to stop random people to see if they are drinking and driving without suspicion will just create a huge traffic jam.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I just started that thread a half hour ago.
Sorry man but I got the jump on this one for once.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Looks good on paper, could save lives but not really practical. Has FAIL written all over it. Like the above poster said, try this on a busy street, you'll have mayham. But I also think a zero tolerance law is BS, drinking one beer and driving home does not impair you. Not in Canada anyway
. Another waste of resources instead of tackling the real issues.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I did a quick search, Didn't see it. My apologies.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by threekings

Thats quite alright.
Happens to me all the time.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

If I can let me change the thread subject a bit.

Source

A Vancouver-based RCMP officer faces charges of impaired driving following a single-vehicle crash at the south end of the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge on early Saturday morning, according to police. The off-duty officer was driving his own vehicle vehicle when it collided with a barrier, heavily damaging the vehicle, said the RCMP in a statement released Monday morning

I'd like to take this thread address the hypocrisy that comes along with a police state and laws that violate basic rights.

When they enact this law they should also make one that tests every government employee randomly to make sure they are not working under the influence. With the direction government policy has been going, it clearly shows signs they are.

The Charter of Rights and the Common Law system applied in Commonwealth states were created to protect citizens from government. Not for government to persecute the people. Somehow through fear peddling this government has made its people afraid of everything and anything that lurks around the corner.

The majority of citizens wont recognize this until its too late, and the people that actually live with respect and dignity will have to suffer this future period of the government infringing on the peoples' rights.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Police state,jesus,you don't know what police state is mate,try here in the uk,where dna samples of half the population are taken even if you are innocent,then we have cctv practically on every street,our emails,phone calls and text messages are checked by spystations,bailiffs have the power to kick down your door and do as they please,being in a group of three people is enough to get you arrested if you get cocky to the police,we even have a stupid thing where if you go to a job interview and they ask if you have a criminal record you have to pay £10 for a print out of your convictions just for the pleasure of being turned down for the job after showing print out .Count yourself lucky.

[edit on 5-10-2009 by snipermeister]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by snipermeister

That's precisely why I am directing this thread in the direction its in. Although we haven't reached the levels the UK has we are still part of the Crown, Our country pledges allegiance to the Queen and it's only a matter of time before we are a mirror image of your country.

Can you tell us what 'regular' people think about the laws in the UK? Is it just people that are scrutinized under the provisions or does everyone experience some dissent to the current laws? And how do people feel about the government employees that are carrying out these so called 'laws'?

I hypothesize that our people will support these acts of government one by one before realizing its too late.

No one minds when it is other people subject to the governments intrusiveness until it becomes them dealing with the scrutiny. By that time its too late to change anything.

[edit on 5-10-2009 by threekings]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Here is another case of hypocrisy in the justice system.

Source

Ontario's privacy commissioner has ordered the province's Crown attorneys to halt the collection of personal information about potential jurors beyond what is legally necessary.

The investigation found that 18 of the 55 Crown attorney offices in Ontario received background information about potential jurors that failed to comply with applicable privacy legislation.

The crown attorneys are conducting illegal background checks into jurors.

Undermining everything that the justice system is there for.

You cannot break the law in trying to uphold the law.
You also should not be able to subject citizens to prevention techniques (like the breathalyzer) and not subject your own people to it with the same disregard for their rights.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

You should make a thread about that.
I was thinking about it a few mins ago but am willing to let you do it first if you want.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

By all means, go for it. I am good with one thread for the day. Even thought it got mangled into the mess it currently is now lol

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Dang...you called my bluff.
I am too lazy to bother today as well.

Cheers.

new topics

top topics

join