It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consciousness Is The Brain's Wi-Fi, Resolving Competing Requests, Study Suggests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

New study suggests that consciousness is in the brain, and acts as a wi-fi. What do you guys think of this?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

It has to be more than just in the head, because there are neurons in your heart and gut, and all through your spine, too. To say the only information processing you are aware of is inside your head, is just classic western white man's bias (and I am white myself).

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Ok, sorry lol. In your "body'. But the thing im trying to get across here is that consciousness can be infact roote just in the body. No outside forces. But does anyone have a link showing how an EM field of a human can hold memory?

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Maddogkull]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
To say the only information processing you are aware of is inside your head, is just classic western white man's bias (and I am white myself).

What does being white have to do with anything? What a completely ridiculous logical fallacy.

Not all white men believe consciousness arises from physical processes, by the way. A great many of them believe in the immaterial soul and spirit.

Your quick wit should be aimed at strict adherents to the Enlightenment, not white men. (And yes, the Enlightenment came through white men...but not *because* they were white.)

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Praetorian Guard]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
So what is your take on this Praetorian?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
So what is your take on this Praetorian?

I believe our core consciousness comes from our spirit. I also believe the spirit is immaterial and extra-dimensional. Our bodies, including our brains, are simply the interface that connects us to our physical environment.

And because our brains serve as this connector, it will surely produce signs of consciousness, since it's serving as the mediator between spirit and matter.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
But does anyone have a link showing how an EM field of a human can hold memory?

I've actually read a bit about what you are referring to. Memories are actually stored and recalled by EM fields acting on our brains. Our brains store the memories, but they are inaccessible until there is an EM field change, that re-biases the neuron networks in our brains and allows different information to come through. Hard to explain but it's more complicated than being strictly "inside" or "outside"; one could make the argument that "memory" itself is non-local or at least not something that consists of a single mechanism.

Originally posted by Praetorian Guard

To say the only information processing you are aware of is inside your head, is just classic western white man's bias (and I am white myself).

What does being white have to do with anything? What a completely ridiculous logical fallacy.

Dude, if you're white then you just proved my stereotype perfectly.

But it IS just a stereotype, and is racist. Yes, I realize that. But generally it is also very true, historically.

I say something, and you try to break it down and analyze it, for the purpose of rationalizing it away. THAT is using all head, no heart, no gut. A Native American shaman once told Carl Jung that the white men coming to their lands were crazy, psychotic. Because they think only with their heads, trying to satisfy their ego, and they always feel they have something to prove to everyone else! They don't think with their heart! And when Jung heard this, he realized how even he, through all his years of experience as a psychologist, was blind to miss something that is an earmark of his entire racial culture.

Just let go and be. Nothing is going to change, except what's inside you, and only then for the better. I realize what I said doesn't apply in every single case.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Care to elaborate on this EM field holding memory?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

I say something, and you try to break it down and analyze it, for the purpose of rationalizing it away. THAT is using all head, no heart, no gut.

Whether I used all head and no heart, the fact remains that your comment is a complete fallacy. Intellect is not invalid and is not the primary domain of the white man. (The corollary would be that non-whites are airy-fairy users of intuition and are anything *but* intellectual. I wonder just how deep THAT rabbit hole goes?)

Just let go and be.

Part of being is logic, rationality and intellect. The heart and gut are no more reliable than the rational mind. Seek the whole man, not just a man of heart. We have a big intellectual drive for a reason.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Praetorian Guard]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorian Guard
Whether I used all head and no heart, the fact remains that your comment is a complete fallacy. Intellect is not invalid and is not the primary domain of the white man. (The corollary would be that non-whites are airy-fairy users of intuition and are anything *but* intellectual. I wonder just how deep THAT rabbit hole goes?)

I don't know what you mean by using intuition being "air-fairy," and I don't get what you're implying with the rabbit hole, either.

Seek the whole man

I agree with that, but the heart, mind and gut should never be at odds in the whole man, either. But taken all together, yes.

top topics

join