It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discover What Makes The Same Type Of Cells Different

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Scientists Discover What Makes The Same Type Of Cells Different

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (Oct. 3, 2009) — A research team led by Lucas Pelkmans at ETH Zürich has managed to decipher a well-known phenomenon that had, until now, remained unexplained: why cells of the same type can react differently, and what the reason for this is.The properties of a cell population determine the different cell activities observed in cells of the same type. This is the conclusion drawn by a research team lead by Lucas Pelkmans, professor at the Institute for Molecular Systems Biology at ETH Zürich. The scientists examined the cause of the well-known phenomenon of cell heterogeneity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I have always be fascinated by human biology. I wounder if this can lead to a more specified answer as to why two people can have the same DNA defect but have two totally different physical or mental ailments. To the best of mt knowledge, if I remember this correctly, the current answer is based on exposures that your parents or grandparents my have had. Exposures such as stress, chemical, famine, and drugs and so on.
Hmm fascinating stuff.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Tick

The properties of a cell population determine the different cell activities observed in cells of the same type.

Hope you can help me out in this. Do cells subconsciously know the properties of the population? How is this possible. Or maybe I'm completely confused, help me out please.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
If I am not mistaken cells do know the properties of the population by proximity base on the proteins/ amino acids on the out side of the cell. That identify what the cell is and what it is used for. Also Science has proven that every cell in the body can retain memory.
But I am not sure that I am qualified to be the one to awnser that question for you. Studying a subject and having a degree are two different things.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Tick

Thanks for trying, I will do some research just to learn more about this. Cells are more interesting than I thought lol. I learned a little at school but didn't focus much.

Thanks for your time

top topics

join