It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Staying dry to provent hypothermia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Sweating when bundled up in cold weather. This is a problem I have yet to figure out. I figured this was a survival topic because it could get you killed even in places where winter is mild. Especially if you sweat in your sleep while all bundled up trying to stay warm.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Sorry, I don't understand what you are talking about??

Are you referring to a camping situation where its cold outside and there is no source of heat in a tent, or just bundled up in bed??

Can you add any more details to what your issue is?

thnx

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
One key to controlling sweat/moisture when bundled up is a base layer that wicks like crazy. No cotton for this job.

Dressing properly, in layers, so you can remove layers if getting too hot and sweating is also recommended.
Moisture wicking base layer, insulating layer, shell/protective layer, in that order.

An outer layer that lets water vapor out and prevent liquid water from coming in (gore-tex and the like) is the cat's meow.

When out in the cold and bundled up, work and move more slowly, with frequent pauses and breaks in order to keep your heat and moisture production slow and steady, such that your clothing can keep up. This will help prevent you from getting wet, and thus cold, from perspiration.

There's some quick "general" tips to stay dry in cold weather off the top of my head, thank you (again) Scouting!

[edit on 28-9-2009 by tjack]

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Tjack pretty much summed it up. I would add that your base layer
should be polypropylene or another synthetic material with similar
moisture wicking properties.

The OP is absolutely right about sweating leading to hypothermia,
this is also why you should never keep your head inside your
sleeping bag. You respire around a pint of water every night just
through breathing, imagine that pint of water being dumped inside
your bag.

top topics