It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Windows Police Pro" Hijacking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Hi ATS,

I'm just posting to warn others and bring this to the attention of management here...

Today, my husband's computer was hijacked by "Windows Police Pro" while reading here on ATS. He says he did not look at any other sites today, he did not click any links, so he believes it may have been from an ad here.

The program "Windows Police Pro" keeps popping up. He can end-task the program and it pops right back up again. He disconnected from the internet (but the program still pops up) and he's running the antivirus our ISP provides. It has already detected 1 virus, hopefully it can get rid of it.

Anyway, I just wanted to let others know about this. It's a real bummer!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Download Malwarebytes and run it.

Also use

Ccleaner

here's a link to using malwarebytes, sounds like you've got some malware on the PC.

Instructions Third post down.

Good Luck.

Disclaimer, this is my personal recommendation and not in any way the recommendation of ATS.

I give no personal guarantees, this is what I would do if it was my computer.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Sorry to hear that it got you too. I got hit with it last week. I was trying to look up info on Ron Bloom on google and got it. The only way I got rid of it was to wipe hard drive and re-install OS.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I got it on here too. 3 times in the past 2 weeks and it all happens when i spend a good amount of time on here!

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Ahh, good old Kaspersky Internet Security. There is no substitute. Problem free here. I keep it updated though, pretty regularly.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Ditto, i got it 2x in the last week, both times had to reinstall OS, i should really keep malwarebytes and ccleaner on a cd somewhere but a good formatting is good for the machine now and again lol

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
From here I picked up "Personal Guard 2009" & "Total Security" I was down for 3 days... Read about it HERE

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Here is a nice link on how to "Remove Police Pro" malware from your pc, posted for OP and other persons who may become infected with this annoying problem.

Remove Police Pro from your PC

Windows Police Pro is a rogue anti-spyware and ransomware program from the same family as Windows Antivirus Pro. Like its predecessor, Windows Police Pro will be configured to scan your computer every time that you login to Windows. When the scan has finished it will state that your computer is infected with a variety of infections and will not remove these infections until you purchase the program. The infections it states reside on your computer, though, do not actually exist and you are just being shown false information to scare you into thinking you are infected.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Sorry to hear this has happened to others as well. Thanks for all the info and tips, guys!

My husband ran the anti-virus/anti-spyware scanners our ISP (Verizon) provides (for an additional monthly fee of course
) and removed it that way. So far, it hasn't popped back up at least.

If we find out there are still files left to cause problems, I'll definitely give these options a try. Thanks again!

[edit on 9/23/2009 by eMachine]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by eMachine

another tip you may try is to turn off your system restore, once you verify your system is clean then turn it back on to eliminate the possibility of it hiding within your restore hives and reinfecting your system.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Just a note: don't use adblock plus. I use it on some sites but for sites I frequent I turn it off. The reason is it's how the site makes money. No money = no site.

Another option is a no-script plugin (for firefox). Or get a linux live disc for when playing on the internet. It allows all browsing etc. but will give complete immunity to all virus threats.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It's always amazing to see people say "I got it from ATS".

I (and I know many others do as well) spend at least 8 hours a day on ATS. For the past 4 years now. And I view hundreds (if not thousands) of threads every day. I have no active protection against malware. Yet, I have never been infected by any sort of Malware whilst on ATS...

Should I just consider myself extremely lucky, or are other people simply too eager to blame ATS for all their problems?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by sp00n1
Adblock Plus extension for Mozilla Firefox.... No more malware hijack ads bull#, period!

Same here. I run AVG Free always, and Spybot S&D still because it works well. I dont get problems.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
People... please stop posting vague information about potential malware that probably happened while most-likely surfing ATS with absolutely no information we can use to get to the bottom it.

When you (members) provide us with enough detail to track down a potential problem, we get to work. If we find a problem, we quickly deal with it.

Without information such as anti-malware scanner log-files or the URL of origin, there's nothing we can do.

If this trend doesn't stop, we're going to be forced to require all issues such as this to be relegated to the complaint form.

Thank you.

Thread closed.

top topics

join