It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO Urges Linked US/Russia/NATO Defense

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

NATO Urges Linked US/Russia/NATO Defense

www.cbsnews.com

(AP) The head of NATO called Friday for the U.S., Russia and NATO to link their missile defense systems against potential new nuclear threats from Asia and the Middle East, saying that the old foes must forget their lingering Cold War animosity.

Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen appealed for unity a day after the U.S. shelved a Bush-era plan for an Eastern European missile defense shield that has been a major irritant in relations with Russia.

"We should explore the potential for linking the U.S., NATO and Russia missile defense systems at an appropriate time," Fogh Rasmussen
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see how this plays out and to tell you the truth we just might see some action taken on this . It would seem that by cooperating countries such as Russia will have an opportunity to see just what the U.S has been working on .

It would also lead one to think that this action just might be the first act in bringing Russia into NATO .

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Let me see who Russia sells arms to:

1). Iran.
2). Venezuela.
3). Syria.
4). N. Korea.

Have we done?

Oh wait, one more:

5). China.

Why the hell are Russia going to suddenly favour the west over these communist or dictatorship countries!

The head of NATO is on planet cuckoo-land!

[edit on 18-9-2009 by john124]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
what an excellent idea!

seriously, i havent thought about this until now and i dont know why. we can work together when it comes to space programs, which are the most advanced human systems in existence, so why not with Earth based ballistic systems?

sure, Russia has alot of treaties and alliances with communist asian countries and radial islamic countries, but ultimately, they share the European based, Caucasian culture that the U.S. and NATO do. We all come from a common beginning. Medieval Russia was much, much more similar to Medieval Europe than it was to Medieval China or Middle East, no? The more you look at it, the more you realize that Russia, the EU, and the USA are closer culturally and politically than Russia is with say, China, Syria, or Iran.

The problem lies in Russia's military equipment industry. They sell to the Islamic and Communist countries of the mid east and Asia, which is how they get quite a bit of gross income to boost their economy. However, this doesn't need to be a permanent thing. They could simply sell all their junk and whilst doing so, develop new methods of attaining monetary assets to replace these weapon sales. Then when the time is right, pull the big switch over from one way to the next.

Think about it for a moment .. the USA, EU, and Russia in military alliance, particularly in the strategic ballistic missile area, would be unstoppable. China, North Korea, Iran, Syria, and all their allies combined wouldnt be able to stand up to such a military alliance. China is on the rise militarily, and soon will be surpassing Russia's position in the global heirarchy of military powers. Russia will not be able to stay as an isolated power forever, and their only other option would be to join an alliance against the USA and EU/NATO. Culturally, politically, and geographically this wouldnt make much sense.

I just think to keep the human race in check globally from self destructing in a nuclear holocaust, the Northern powers that surround the North pole specificly need to form a strategic alliance against the up and coming communist and islamic powers. These powers are hungry enough to make a move on a weakened northern nation if they get the opportunity, not to mention against Israel, which I havent even mentioned in this post until now. Ultimately Israel would be on the same "side" as the EU and the USA.

But how else can I put it .. soon the technology factor that keeps certain nations so far "ahead" of other nations in war fighting ability will be lessened to the point where all nations will basicly have the same level of technology. When this happens, population and willpower come into play so much more than they do now, and the Northern powers just wouldnt survive any prolonged conflict unless they ALL teamed up. Right now China could give Russia a HARD fight.. and the Islamic powers could give the E.U. an equally hard fight, were it not for Israel and the USA being in the way, so to speak. As the years go by, the situation is only going to worsen for the "West", which includes Russia, so maybe we should change the term "West" to the "North".

If Russia stays isolated, we'd be looking at the use of eventual nuclear weaponry the next time a major world conflict arises, particularly if it involves Iran and/or China, and who else would it involve?

Besides .. if they did this, they could turn the North Pole into some type of uber ballistics base or missile defense base (a major misisle shield covering Russia, Europe, and North America), with an underground base system to boot, accessable by all northern powers.

[edit on 9/18/2009 by runetang]

[edit on 9/18/2009 by runetang]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

And we sell weapons to Saudi Arabia, and plenty of other dictatorships around the world as well.

What's your point?

Big countries with lots of weapons sell them to the highest bidder?

Pro-tip: water also runs downhill

[edit on 9/18/09 by xmotex]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Never....

Thats all I can muster to say....

never....

Not at least until people born post-cold war or those who are too young to remember it are in power.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

Exactly, they sell arms to these countries, but not their best stuff. They do it because its the easiest and best way to raise funds for them right now. If they developed an alternative way to stimulate their economy, they could turn their backs on these countries in an instant, and ally with the countries which are closer to them ethnically, politically, and culturally.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Integration?
NO!

Cooperation?
Maybe.

Who would be the new potential boogymen?

China?
N.Korea?
India?
Iran?

How many more nuclear powers are they expecting?

[edit on 18-9-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

The Cold War ended 18 years ago.

The fact that some people still can't let go of it is entirely their own problem.

This kind of mutual security network is the best way to ensure that we can settle our differences at the bargaining table and not on the battlefield - which in the case of the US vs. Russia would pretty much be the entire Northern Hemisphere.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
To those who say the US sells weapons to other countries as well, yes I already know that. My point wasn't about the ethics, it was more about the differences already between the west and Russia.

Whilst I disagree that selling weapons to Israel and selling weapons to Iran, Venezuela or Syria are the same, it's all irrelevant who agrees and disagrees on that. What is more relevant is that Russia sells weapons to countries whom the governments of the top NATO countries do not trust. That makes it a hurdle to get over first.

new topics

top topics

join