It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockerbie bomber disputes conviction with new dossier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

The man convicted of the Lockerbie bombing has released a dossier of legal papers which he claims are proof he was wrongly convicted of the worst terrorist attack on British soil.

The documents, published online today by Abdel Basset al-Megrahi, show that serious doubts about the reliability of the key witness at his trial were raised independently by Scotland's official body, which investigates suspected miscarriages of justice.

The dossier demonstrates that the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission (SCCRC) sent Megrahi's case back to the court of appeal in 2007, after deciding that the judges who convicted him had made a series of errors about the evidence of a Maltese shopkeeper, Tony Gauci – the only witness to link the Libyan to the alleged plot.

According to the commission, those mistakes were significant enough to raise substantial doubts about the safety of Megrahi's conviction of killing 270 people in the Lockerbie bombing on 21 December 1988.

Lockerbie bomber disputes conviction with new dossier The Guardian, Friday 18/09/09

One may sensibly ask why a man already released from gaol and with (according to his doctors) only about three months life expectancy, should choose to devote his remaining time and energy into clearing his name - unless he is innocent: "I will do everything in my power to persuade the public, and in particular the Scottish public, of my innocence."

Here is the website that he is using to present his case: Abdelbaset Ali Al-Megrahi My Story

new topics

join