It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rancor, relief on missile shield plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

PRAGUE – Czechs and Poles expressed rancor and relief Thursday that President Barack Obama had scrapped plans for a U.S. missile defense shield on their territories, reflecting deep divisions over a proposal that had also enraged Russia.

Glad to hear this.

But, no matter what, someone is not going to be happy.

Ex-leaders in the Czech Republic and Poland bristled at Obama's reversal, saying it reinforced a growing impression that Washington no longer views the region as indispensable to U.S. and European security interests. Yet many ordinary citizens who had been skeptical of the shield's benefits expressed relief that the system wouldn't be built on their soil.

Apparently this was a Bush idea but obama is canceling it. I say good for him. We dont' need another base. We don't need to spend the money. And we need an ally out of Russia.

What are your (mature) and thought out thoughts on this?

Thank you for posting.

linky

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Realistically, if a rogue state wanted to deliver a nuke to the US or a Western country, they wouldn't do it by way of missile. They'd put it in a backpack and strap it to some disillusioned fool and march his merry way across the border by car/boat/plane.

In that sense, the missile shield was pretty much nothing but a waste of money that only served to make the Russians irate.

This decision was in the best interests of the US, in my opinion. Thumbs up!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
In general I'm for the concept of having a defense against incoming missiles but putting them in eastern Europe had nothing to do with the defense of America. I am sure the decision was made on diplomatic and political grounds so that the administration could pressure Russia, show Poland that we "care", and look tough to the voters back home. I expect lobbyists for the defense contractors were also completely in favor of it.

Where we need anti-missile batteries is stationed in Alaska, Hawaii, and along the west coast. If there is a serious threat from missiles it will be from North Korea and not Russia.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by total_slacker]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Good posts, thank you. Is there anyone who thinks that a missile defense post would be a good idea there?

new topics

top topics

join