It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Sunspot to Appear on Sep 20th '09

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Hi all,

seems like there is a fairly large sunspot growing on the far side of our sun.

In the next few days it should make an appearance with the rotation of the sun. It will be the first decent sunspot to appear since the end of July 09.

Be interesting to keep a good watch on Space Weather over the next few days to see this come around!!

I cant wait until the sun kicks into gear and starts giving us more sunspots in the lead up to the 2013 solar Maximum.

Irene Gonzalez-Hernandez, a solar physicist working on the GONG project, says "I believe this is a large active region belonging to new Solar Cycle 24. The sun's rotation should turn it toward Earth for direct viewing on Sept. 20th

gong.nso.edu...

[img]
[/img]

G

[edit on 15-9-2009 by grantbeed]

[edit on 15-9-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Hi grantbeed,

This is great news! I would highly suggest to you to get out of that cramped computer room of yours and get some of that sunlight before it's all gone!

Take care!

Incog

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
yeh, i should get out more... haha.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Interesting timing...with NASA blanketing the atmosphere with aluminum oxide.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
The seismic data does seem to work pretty well for "seeing" what's happening on the farside. The prominence we're seeing is pretty minor but the activity coming up looks like it might amount to something.
vso.tuc.noao.edu...

@ExPostFacto: I don't think 200 pounds of aluminum oxide can be considered "blanketing the atmosphere".

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

yes, i hope it does. When the last good sunspot came up in July, I was hoping for it to be the start of something more regular, only to be disappointed!!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Well one decent spot doesn't mean the sun is coming out of its mini-hibernation quite yet, but it is good to see some signs of normal solar activity again

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
looks like i might be a day out -

The tangle of hot, magnetized plasma circled above almost certainly overlies a large new-cycle sunspot. We'll soon find out. The sun's rotation is turning the active region toward Earth and it could pop over the sun's eastern limb as early as Sept. 21st

www.spaceweather.com...

almost here!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
finally, new sunspot appearing on the eastern limb of the sun!!

www.spaceweather.com...

[img]
[/img]

[img]
[/img]

doesnt look like theres anything huge or extremem happening just yet.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
see this post here -

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join