It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Shockwave Los Angeles Area What was it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I heard a giant shock wave, and it blew my blinds out for a couple seconds some say it was 2 big blast, my friend who lives in north ridge felt it too but thought it was his neighbor closing the door hard, and I am all the way in Glendale which is at least like 15 mins, what was it? anything to do with the shuttle?

This happen at 5:50 PM PACIFIC TIME

[edit on 11-9-2009 by thebluemoon]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by thebluemoon

Space shuttle must of landed. Its landing in Florida was canceled and Califorina is the next location to land.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

STS-128 Landing Blog

Space shuttle Discovery is scheduled to land at 8:53 p.m. at the shuttle's backup landing site at Edwards Air Force Base in California. Both landing opportunities at the shuttle's home port at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida were waved off due to weather.

Landing coverage is scheduled to begin at 3:45 p.m. The landing blog is brought to you by STS-128 Blogger Anna Heiney and originates from the NASA News Center at Kennedy.

NOTE: All times are posted in Eastern. Timestamps appear in your local time.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
UPDATE 2-Shuttle leaves orbit, heads to California

* Shuttle to land in California at 8:53 p.m. EDT/0053 GMT

* Bad weather thwarts landing at Florida home base

* Spaceship, seven astronauts returning from space station (Updates with shuttle leaving orbit)

By Irene Klotz

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla., Sept 11 (Reuters) - The space shuttle Discovery left orbit on Friday and headed toward NASA's backup landing site in California at the end of a 14-day resupply mission to the International Space Station.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by thebluemoon

I heard that just a little while ago - actually, I almost felt it...Orange County.

Tripped me out big time, and I'm sober - I can only imagine if I was 4 or 5 deep...thanks for the 411.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Space shuttle past over LA at about 0548 PT and landed at Edwards AFB

I wondered how long it would be till it hit ATS

They are unloading at Edwards now.
www.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Wow, I never knew that when the shuttle passed over areas it that it created a shockwave that big. It has to push alot of air out the way to be felt on the groun.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I would just like to comment on this that thanks to all of you who came up with the answer so blindingly fast about this being the space shuttle. That just avoided a potential panic attack. Excellent. Does ATS rock or what???
Real nice guys!

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Well, I have watched at the space shuttle in a dramatic fly over texas and there was no shock wave. It was brilliant and beautiful as it flew toward a landing, in Florida, I presume.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Yes, I heard it in Long Beach... the house shook, there were 2 blasts... neighbors out in the street.. sheesh!!!!

I didnt know it was so loud, and of all days to hear loud blasts...!

link   
Yeah, its definitely the space shuttle. i live about 15 minutes from Cape Canaveral, and the last time one landed I thought someone had set off a bomb in my back yard...I had no idea that it was landing, and I almost crapped myself.

link   
Space shuttle rattles SoCal with sonic booms
The Associated Press
Posted: 09/11/2009 01:00:15 PM PDT
Updated: 09/11/2009 05:50:17 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES—Sonic booms have rocked Southern California as space shuttle Discovery descends toward Edwards Air Force Base in the Mojave Desert.
The shuttle's distinctive twin booms sounded late Friday afternoon as Discovery crossed the Pacific coast and soared across the metropolitan area toward a 5:53 p.m. touchdown.

Mission Control diverted the shuttle to California because of bad weather at the primary landing site in Florida.

new topics

top topics

join