It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Week To View The Stars Coming Up!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

The moon is at new phase on Sept. 18 and during this upcoming week will appear as a gradually diminishing crescent of light in the after midnight-hours, and won't be much of a hindrance to stargazing. This combined with the fact that at this particular time of the year the hazy skies of summer are giving way to clearer skies and cooler overnight temperatures means that this is an optimum week to check out the beautiful summer Milky Way. As soon as darkness falls, it becomes evident as a wide glowing arch of variety and beauty, stretching across the sky from the northeast to southwest.

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Fri Sep 11 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ufo reality

Thanks for the heads up. I've never seen the Milky Way in the night sky. I've seen how it looks like on the web and articles, but never really set out to see it myself. I'll try this week.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I was just noticing how visible the milky way is from my new house last night. It's rare the we get a clear evening in florida this time of year; we're still getting socked with late afternoon thunderstorms which is why the shuttle is having a hard time coming back.

[edit on 11-9-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Does anyone know what the overly large white and blue object is that cuts across the sky every night starts on the horizon at about 1900 and ends about 0300, I live in Memphis TN. I get everything from Venus and Jupiter to Pluto...when I pull out the telescope it is just too bright to make out. When I tracked down Jupiter and Venus you can make them out clearly with the telescope and yet this object is easily 5 or 6 times the size as one of those planets. Mind you it has kept on this exact time schedule of rotation for close to 2 years now, not moved in off that rotation one inch.

[edit on 11-9-2009 by Aziroth]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Aziroth

Most likely Jupiter. It is visible low in the southeast around 1900CST (or whenever the sky becomes dark enough to see it). It moves west and "up" until it reaches its peak around 2300CST, due south, about 40 degrees high. From there it continues west and "down" until it disappears under the southwest horizon around 0330CST.

If you use a telescope, you might be interested in the free program STELLARIUM. It will help you identify the stars/planets you're looking at.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Yeah it isn't Venus. Venus is very yellow. I have a picture of venus moving actually. (Please note I hadn't yet turned on the noise reduction, and the picture isn't the nicest quality... but you sure can't miss Venus!)

Also heres a picture of the big dipper from my backyard looking over my next door neighbor's house. I thought it came out great, but I can't wait from those dark cold December nights.

I always wondered if it was just me thinking the night sky was clearer in the winter, now I know its not my eyes fooling me!

Unfortunately, I live on a college campus, and the light pollution is terrible. Winter break back at home in the country should yield some awesome pictures, though!

new topics

top topics

join