It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most economical livestock?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Lets say Situation X or the SHTF has forced us to be self sufficient. You have your garden growing but want some protein...what do you choose? Chickens? Pigs? Cows? Goats? Rabbits? Something a little less common such as doves or pigeons?

Laying Hens can take over 80 pounds of feed...and cows take an enormous amount of feed and hay as well. Goats are quite capable of grazing in fields and I have heard they are more economical than cows. I have no idea what it takes to feed rabbits and pigs...

What are your thoughts? Any experiences raising livestock? In a SitX scenario would one be able to reliably feed enough livestock to live off? Pros or Cons to livestock? Obviously you would need a stable and safe location, and livestock may give away your position to those passing by. One would also have to worry about those trying to take your precious protein from you.

Just a humble discussion and something I've wondered for a while...

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I would go with chickens. They can provide you meat, eggs, and other chickens. Plus, it doesnt take them that long to reach maturity as some of the other animals. Plus, if it went down like this, you could use them as a barter. Im sure other people wouldn't mind trading for a female chick that may one day provide them eggs and other little chickens.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Goats can eat many an assortment of weird things.

Sheep = wool.

For strange livestock... I've heard domestic cat tastes pretty good.

[edit on 9/9/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Personally I would go with chickens and goats.
If you grow corn you'll have plenty of grain.
Breed selection is also important. I have dealt with a lot of different breeds of chickens. Rhode Island reds seem to have a knack for evading predators.
The 2 breeds of goats I have experience with are pygmies and nubians. Pygmies are less destructive and are more tame. Nubians are better for milk.
Rabbits are easy enough to care for, just feed them the scraps of all your veggies.

top topics

join