It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars in your eyes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Good evening, I've read the thread on flags, and had a good old nosey through this forum, but I can't seem to find anything on stars.

I've only been here less than a wee,k and I seem to have 17 stars, is this a good thing or a bad thing? How does one acquire stars and what do they represent?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
You've been starred? Ouch. That's very bad news.

I kid ofcourse. Stars are members telling you "good post". This is what Moderator JungleJake had to say:

The stars are a way of letting someone know you think they made a good/great point, or just did a great job contributing to ATS, even if you don't agree with them.

If you'll notice, above every post is an outline of a star at the end of the line of solid stars, or, if there are no stars, there is simply the outline. If you click that, another star will appear.

Unlike Applause, which is only available to ATS staff and awards points, the stars are a way for everyone to bring attention to a post that otherwise may be overlooked while reading through a thread.

So when you see those stars suddenly appear, it's because folks like you read the post and thought it was great. Since we don't allow one line posts (things like, "I agree," or "Yeah, what (s)he said!" it is a way to show your approval.

EDIT TO ADD: Stars do not give points. They are simply a way of saying, "good job" to your fellow members.

From here.

In other words. Keep up the good work.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by butch_uk

I think stars are supposed to be 'good.' Provided you like stars. They can be scary too though, and may just be a tool to elicit or commend your compliance.

They are used in some form of ritual around here...not sure how. But the more you have, the better you are supposed to feel. I think when people like what you say, or enjoy the discussion, or want to reward you for your input, they will sometimes give you a 'star.' Much like grade school, but unless your parents are really open minded, you should probably keep them to yourself.

If you wish to move on to the next level of enlightenment, or evolution, you will apparently need some 'stars' to accomplish this.

In the end, I think you will find humans fairly silly and superstitious. My advice would be to disregard the 'stars' and speak your mind. In the end, that is far more important than being rewarded for what someone ELSE thinks you should have said.

With 17 stars and only a week under your belt, you will be the new Grand Poobah in no time.

Keep up the good work.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

"Stars" are a simple thumbs up / nod of approval kind of thing.

Once you have a certain number of posts/ flags / and stars (300/300/300)* you can browse ATS un-accosted by advertisments .

* Though this number may of changed ...again.

There are no stars on the business & questions board .

Hope that helps .

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Thank you for the above answers, I am certainly not here to kiss admin-ass, but I don't wish to upset someone just for the sake of it either.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Admin kiss up is the last thing they are...so no worries on that account. Just keep posting good stuff, and people will tell you so, via the stars.

Stars good.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Is that what the blue stars are?

Can we get more, like what is in lucky charms cereal?

A treat we can't eat.

Bummer.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I am glad this is about posting because if you were literally seeing stars I was gonna tell you to go to the ER because that can a serious problem.

I have felt that stars are supposed to be for an exceptionally good post. But now people just dole them out because they agree with you, instead of a quality post.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
it would be cool if there was differant shapes on different occasions .like a clover on st.patricks day . etc.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

Admin kiss up is the last thing they are...so no worries on that account.

So what DO they get for admin kiss up?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I've never seen an admin kiss up, so your guess would be as good as mine...

I'm guessing most of us would react much like I do...

*gag* roll my eyes, and move on.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
How do you know which post you received a star for?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

The stars appear right above the post in question. You won't find any stars in this thread, because it has been disabled here, but if you browse the rest of ATS you'll notice stars above posts.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
I've never seen an admin kiss up, so your guess would be as good as mine...

Your post is looking especially good today.....have you lost weight? Have I ever told you how much I look up to you? You really must give me that recipe....it was delish!!!!

join