It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S., Mexico To Build Cross-Border Network

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
www.informationweek.com...

U.S. and Mexican agencies will work together to build a voice, data, and video network that will be used for cross-border public safety and law enforcement.

I am not sure how I really feel about this network. I understand the need to share some information across boarders, but this seems a bit over reaching the sovereignty of either nation.

Does this mean that a North American Union is coming, I don't know. Is it already here, maybe.

An agreement signed this week sets the stage for a new public safety and law enforcement network that extends between the United States and Mexico.
The agreement, signed by the United States-Mexico High-Level Consultative Commission on Telecommunications, establishes a bilateral working group to oversee construction of the network, which will be used for public safety and law enforcement. The planned Cross Border Public Security Communications Network will let federal, state, local, and tribal safety and law enforcement agencies communicate using voice, data, and video.

It makes me wonder where the actual oversight is in regard to projects like this. Is there oversight? What mandate of congress authorizes U.S. law enforcement to work as the same unit as the Mexican law enforcement? How will the network be used by both sides of the border? It is not like the two countries align when it comes to legal codes. A prime example is the recent mexican decriminalization of drugs in small quantities. Will U.S. law enforcement be able to do surveillance wirelessly into mexican soil, tracking the movements of individuals? Or vice versa?

I feel like this project needs to be halted until more investigation on how this project may violate the civil rights of US Citizens under the Bill of Rights and Constitution.
DocMoreau

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Wow, I am surprised that no one else chose to comment on this thread.

I guess my feelings about ATS have come to fruition. Instead of discussion going on anymore, the 2008 election seems to have turned everything into a dram filled argument.

Since there is not much 'argument' about the Mexican/US border anymore, nor does anyone else seem scared of a NAFTA super highway or North AMerican Union, there is no discussion to be had here.

Oh Well... I guess it doesn't really matter if the Mexicans theoretically could spy on Americans in violation to the sovereignty, and vice versa. No violations of the US Constitution or Bill of Rights to see here, oh wait...

DocMoreau

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DocMoreau

No one here seems to care much about this topic.
I wonder why members can go on and on about the North American Union, but have nothing to say here.

DocMoreau

join