It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban or Tourism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Hungry guests sip cans of Coke and nonalcoholic beer and pick at a buffet that includes General Tsao's chicken, egg drop soup and slices of sweet green melon grown in nearby fields.

"The natural resources and cultural resources here are probably the single best place for economic development to happen, around revitalizing the tourism industry here," says Bob Thelen, the representative for the Aga Khan Development Network in Bamiyan. The nonprofit organization has been working with the government of New Zealand to distribute $1.2 million over a three-year period to develop eco-tourism as an industry in Bamiyan.

Full Story

I thought that any intrepid travellers on the boards might take an interest in this story . If money grew on trees I would travel to Bamiyan province in Afghanistan . My kudos to Hiromi Yasui for starting up a hotel in such a place . Indeed what is on offer is a small glimmer of hope for a land that time forgot .

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

I am an intrepid traveler...or more like I use to be, I have become a little spoilt and lazy, though this would be enough to lure me back from hotels and cars, to backpacks (with wheels ofc) and mules.....especially the caves, If only the Budhas were still there!!!!

new topics

join