It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia should join Antarctic space race

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Australia should join Antarctic space race

www.brisbanetimes.com.au

Australian scientists have discovered the coldest, driest place in the world on Australian soil and they say this could be the hub for a new generation of advanced astronomy.

The area known as Ridge A is deep in the heart of the Australian Antarctic Territory - about 1000 kilometres from the South Pole - and following the investigations of a joint US-Australian research team possesses all the characteristics of a perfect setting to build a space observatory.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/9/2009 by ocker]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Well I though there were enough space observatory's around the world already.

The race to have the best is the key to success .

Already the areas near Ridge A are being developed for astronomy with a Chinese telescope being constructed 150 kilometres away at an area called Dome A and another more than 2000 kilometres to the east at Dome C, where a French/Italian telescope is planned for 2012.

Well i thought we all shared resources together whats with the big RACE all of a sudden.
Thanks

Ocker

www.brisbanetimes.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Here is why the advantage of having a space Astronomy station at the Antarctic is beneficial over current locations.

The low infrared background and high atmospheric transparency are the principal advantages of Antarctic Plateau sites for astronomy. However, the poor seeing (between 1 and 3 as) negates much of the sensitivity improvements that the Antarctic atmosphere offers, compared to mid-latitude sites such as Mauna Kea or Cerro Paranal. The seeing at mid-latitude sites, though smaller in amplitude, is dominated by turbulence at altitudes of 10–20 km. Over the Antarctic Plateau, virtually no high altitude turbulence is present in the winter.

it concludes with Science programs that would benefit from such an instrument include planet detection and orbit determination, and astrometric observation of stars microlensed by dark matter candidates.

Exciting times for astronomy !!! the race is on .

www.publish.csiro.au...

Thanks

Ocker

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I feel proud about this.

What is interesting is that it was always suggested that Australia would be the first to see the possible planet X or comet, etc. I guess that is a self-fulfilling prophecy since we're tying to build this.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
It's about bloody time.

Ever since the plans for a Space Centre on Cape York were shelved because the politicians couldn't figure out a way to line their own pockets at the same time, I have been waiting for the day Australia finally wakes up and realises that space is the future of mankind and that we need to make our own moves toward this goal - or be at the mercy of NASA and the ESA.

Even though it is only talk of it being an astromony station it's a move in the right direction. Hopefully this isn't the last we hear about this.

[edit on 2/9/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Great post hopefully they will come to see it is the future

top topics

join