It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival... Tragedy? Not Always. Adventure, Fun and Recreation.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Excellent point.

My kids used to laugh when we used to go out for even just a day in the woods, they'd say, "Dad, why do you bring so much stuff with you when you take us out?"

One day we were in our local woods, probably no more than half an hour from home and there was a torrential downpour for about two hours.

As i calmly got out my tarps, set up a shelter, then cooked us all up some spag bol and a cuppa, we must have seen a dozen families pass us with kids (at least one had a baby wearing next to nothing), and despite me offering them to duck under our shelter which i could have made bigger with another tarp, they refused.

I know of one couple that went down with a serious chest infection that day as a result of being soaked and trying to make it home. I hope the kids were ok. The woods around here are close by, but to a lost stranger, they could trap you all day and night.

A couple of hours later, the rain ceased, we packed up and carried on with our day. Whether you call it camping or a pathetic case of survival, me and my kids were not subjected to possible hypothermia that day. Thats all that matters to me.

So it was a great example for the kids, and myself of why i take a few things to "survive" the unexpected.

My kids have had the best times learning little bits from me over the years, and i'm proud to say if i asked them what would they rather do, sit and watch telly all night or try some fire making or knife skills outside, the fire making and an hour with their Frosts Mora wins every time.

I think the art of survival should be fun whilst learning it, so that when the time comes to use it for real, it's not traumatic, but second nature.

CX.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
totally off topic, i apologize...

i can't find an admin, and i can't PM

i want to know if there is a way to get email alerts for updates to subscribed threads?

thanks

CX

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by patrickhatch
totally off topic, i apologize...

i can't find an admin, and i can't PM

i want to know if there is a way to get email alerts for updates to subscribed threads?

thanks

Good question, but i have no idea.

Maybe try posting your question in the Questions and Info forum, you should get an answer pretty quick.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

CX.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

awesome, thanks...

most/all other forums i frequent are more one general topic, so the organization is a bit more transparent, i'm not really familiar with this site yet, but i learn quick.

CX

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by patrickhatch

No probs.

ATS is a big site for sure, i still get a little lost now and again.

If you get stuck on anything, just shout.

CX.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Howdy neighbor Ninja. Nice to have someone from my neck of the woods.
A while back ago my friend came up from Anaheim. It was so funny, she wanted me to pull over any time we saw road kill, because it was all animals she had never seen before. She had never seen a squirrel, or a cow. She thought letting my cat outside was cruel and a reason to call the SPCA. I just couldn't fathom. When we would drive down "country" roads with no street lights, she would get scared. I love her dearly, but we will never agree on gun control and the fact that she thinks eating cheaply is buying generic ready made meals instead of name brand ones.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
howdy calstorm, norcal boy through and through! my family is from back east, grew up in galt/lodi, so we're very humble folks...so to them, gun control is using both hands!!!

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
It hasn't been discussed on the Survival forum the skill set I would like to obtain other then using a compass and map reading is tracking and how move about without leaving a trail or making a sound . Maybe I should throw a few beers the direction of a Kiwi Vietnam veteran who lives in the neighbourhood and see what I can come up .

Cheers Luke .

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Great post...
As a member of the New Mexico Mountan Rescue team let me sare this tid bit from our safty guide...

Lets start with the things you should always carry with you. These include:
•Map and Compass
•First Aid Kit
•Water Filter (and purification tablets)
•Multipurpose tool (swiss knife)
•Space blanket (for insulation or shelter)
•Nylon cord
•Flashlight
•Sunglasses
•Matches
•Extra food
•Clothing
If you pack these things with you every time you go in the backcountry, you are greatly improving your chances of staying safe, calm and comfortable even if something goes wrong on your trip.
Danger: Getting Lost
Remedy: Learn How to Use a Map and Compass and Practice

Everyone going into the backcountry should be able to read a topographical map and use a compass to navigate. Even if you use a GPS unit, having these skills as backup are essential. You never know when your GPS might break or run out of power leaving you stranded if you don't have a compass as a backup. Using a compass is really not difficult and could save you a lot of suffering. So head to your local gear shop, buy a compass, read the directions, and practice. Having good navigational skills insures that you will always know where you are, what the best emergency return route is, and will keep you from ever experiencing the panic, discomfort and danger of being lost in the backcountry. But just in case, always let someone know where you are headed, when you expect to be back, and when they should call for help if you are not back.

If you do become lost - don't panic. Stay calm and stay in one place. Conserve energy by staying out of the wind, sitting on your pack or a pad and setting up shelter if possible. Locate a water source as you can survive for quite a while on just water. Lastly, build a fire. It will warm and comfort you and signal rescuers of your location.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danger: Temperature and Weather
Remedy: Wear and Pack the Right Clothes for ALL POSSIBLE CONDITIONS and Pay Attention to How You Feel
Cold. Hypothermia is a serious risk in the backcountry. It sets in when your core body temperature drops below normal (caused by cold, wet and wind) and can lead to mental and physical collapse and even death. Knowing how to dress in the backcountry really is a skill. For the greatest versitility in regulating your temperature I would suggest dressing in layers. This means more options when you think in terms of base, insulating and shell layers. Before setting off you need to think about how to stay warm and dry in any conditions you might encounter on your trip.

Even in the summer I never go into the mountains without carrying enough clothing to keep me happy if I get caught in a freak snowstorm. This would include an insulating top, waterproof shell, warm hat and some shell pants. You might think this is a lot to carry but believe me, if you spend enough time in the mountains the weather will change and you will be very happy you carried an extra 2 ? pounds of clothing. Better to have extra stuff and not use it than need it and not have it.

Heat. The human body is far better equipped to handle heat than cold but you still need to be careful of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. If you are backpacking in hot temperatures make sure that you are drinking enough fluids to allow your body to sweat as much as necessary. Also make sure you are replacing your body's salt and sugar reserves with snacks and/ or sports drinks. If you feel excessively hot, stop exercise immediately, seek out shade and pour water on yourself.

Heat stroke is a serious condition and can be differentiated from heat exhaustion because your patient will exhibit hot skin rather than the pale, clammy skin heat exhaustion produces. Move the person into the shade, remove clothing and cool by dowsing with cool water and fanning. Make sure that you don't overly cool the patient as their body's temperature regulation system has failed. Evacuate as soon as possible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Danger: Lightning
Remedy: Learn the Skills That Will Keep You as Safe as Possible
Mainly a problem in the spring and summer, lightning poses a serious threat to people in the backcountry. The best way to avoid being struck is to avoid ridges, open spaces and caves during lightning storms. If you are caught in an open area or above treeline, make sure you are far away from any metal objects, put an insulated pad between you and the ground and stay as low as possible.

Danger: Dehydration
Remedy: Pack Plenty of Water and Know Where You Will Get More
Dehydration is quite a simple problem to prevent. Just make sure you are packing enough water for the conditions you're in, drink before you're thirsty, and have an idea of where you will be able to find more. Roughly speaking, the average adult requires a minimum of 2-3 quarts a day, more if you are in the desert or cold conditions or at altitude. Dehydration can lead to frostbite, heat stroke, headache, bad judgement and, in extreme cases, death.

Danger: Giardia
Remedy: Treat All Water Before Drinking It
Giardia is a very unpleasant little microorganism that causes severe intestinal disorder and, unfortunately, lives in many of our water sources in the US. The best way to prevent giardia is to filter or purify all water before drinking it regardless of how clear it looks. Treat water by using a filter that traps particles larger than 0.2 microns, a chemical treatment according to its instructions or by boiling water for at least five minutes.

Danger: Getting Hurt
Remedy: Don't Take Unnecessary Chances, Watch for Hazards and Learn Wilderness Medical Skills
In a general sense, there are only 6 things that can kill you. Airway, breathing, circulation, bleeding, shock, spinal (or ABC-BSS). Learn to handle these emergencies and how to evacuate a patient from the backcountry and you'll already be safer. Minimize the possibility of a medical emergancy by always keeping one foot on the ground, being aware of objective hazards like falling rocks or dead trees, and making sure that everyone in your party knows of each others' medical conditions and brings an adequate supply of any medications they require. You should also always carry a well stocked first aid kit and know how to use everything in it.

Have fun but please be safe... this hunting season I'd rather sit in front of my TV watching a game than being called out on a lost hiker call ya know

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join