It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions to Christians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Im posting these questions for a friend that doesn't have an account here on ATS, he posted them on godlikeproductions forum earlier tonight but got no replies.

Personally I do not, and most likely never will, follow any organized religion.
However, I am curious regarding the views of the "righteous Christians" who are posting in this thread.

I don't quite understand, but perhaps some of you would care to enlighten me by answering some questions on a few topics?

The Bible:
1. Do you believe the original Bible was written/manifested by God himself? (as in a physical object)

2. What version of the Bible do you read and consider to be the true one?

3. Do you believe the version which you read is a direct and true translation of the original Bible?

4. Do you know who translated the version which you read and what kind of person(s) they were?

5. How are people who has/will never see a Bible in their life going to know/find God?

6. Was is possible to go to heaven before the Bible appeared?

7. Do you believe the God of the Quran is the same as in the Bible?

God/Jesus: (Assuming here that Jesus was/is God in human form)
1. Do you believe God is benevolent?

2. Do you fear God?

3. Do you fear his adversary/satan?

4. Do you or did you ever have dialogue (not monologue) with Jesus/God?
A description of the experience would be very interesting

5. Do you treat others as you would like to be treated?

6. Do you believe God/Jesus require that you worship him? Why? If yes, how?

7. Does God/Jesus require that you be a member of any organized religion/church before you may call yourself a Christian?

8. What do you believe are the requirements to go to Heaven/Hell when you die? Is there an in between?

I hope some of you will answer as I'm quite intrigued as to how you persieve/experience life.

As I said I don't follow any organized religion, but I do believe in God although I call him the Creator.

Peace

Here's the link to the whole thread Linky

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The Bible is the word of God written by men inspired by God to write it.

The versions that have you confused all say the same thing. They are worded differently so that you could understand them. The thee's and thou's aren't in a different translations.

Any translation you use will say the same thing, worded differently for clarity.

I have no clue who translated, although I'm sure you could delve into that information if you really wanted to find out. What kind of person was it? HAHA.

People who diligently seek God will find Him regardless of whether they have a Bible or not. God will deliver his message.

Yes. Do you think Adam and Eve are not there?

The God of the Qua ran is a different God. Make no mistake.

Benevolent? We are talking about God right?

Yes. The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.

I respect his adversary and do not play games along those lines.

Yes, I cannot elaborate but it is possible to speak with God and receive answers.

It try to remember that one. I am only human and do have my shortcomings.

Required, no. Suggested, yes. A relationship cannot develop if you do not know who you are worshiping and why.

No. But attending church is encouraged. Do not forsake the gathering of yourselves.

You accept Jesus into your life and develop a relationship as you get to know all about him. If this is not done, even though you've had many signs that you've ignored you may end up forfeiting your soul to something else.

I hope I helped you out here.

Edited to add that I star and flagged you for asking some tough questions.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by jackflap]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The Bible:
1. Do you believe the original Bible was written/manifested by God himself? (as in a physical object) I believe it was told to the people to right it by God. I also believe it is a mix of philosophies by many people

There all translations, it doesnt matter which one I read.

3. Do you believe the version which you read is a direct and true translation of the original Bible? No

4. Do you know who translated the version which you read and what kind of person(s) they were? No

5. How are people who has/will never see a Bible in their life going to know/find God? They don't have to, if they are good people in life, they will go to heaven. I don't think God discriminates by religion.

God is and always was.

7. Do you believe the God of the Quran is the same as in the Bible? I never have read any of the Quran, but I believe all God's and religons are part of the same.

I don't know what benevolent means, and I'm to lazy to look it up.

2. Do you fear God?

No. God should be scared of the people.

Satan should be afraid of the people. No

Sadly no.

If they treat me a certain way, I will treat them equally to how they treat me.

6. Do you believe God/Jesus require that you worship him? Why? If yes, how? No

7. Does God/Jesus require that you be a member of any organized religion/church before you may call yourself a Christian? No

8. What do you believe are the requirements to go to Heaven/Hell when you die? Is there an in between?
In between is for people who are materialistic or need to finish something in life. Heaven is for the people who lead a good life. Hell is for the people who destroy anothers soul, or ruin it. (Murder, rape, etc.)

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Ok, so I'll take a stab at your questions.

1)Original writings were written by God inspired people.
2)Truest versions are ones oldest versions including Hebrew or Greek original manuscripts
3)No version is an exact correct translation from the original manuscripts.
4)Yes and Yes
5)My opinion--at some point these people who have died will be resurrected and be given the chance.
6)Yes. No one(in my opinion has been to heaven yet. That will come after the great judgement. in other words I believe if someone has died they(including body-soul-spirit) is still dead(asleep-resting)
7) No.

1) Yes. Much more than just benevolent.
2) Yes. In the way a created being must fear righteous judgment. In my words trying to live as expected. God is not a fearful Being.
3) Yes. I fear my weakness in resisting his agenda. Long term I have no fear of the outcome.
4) Yes. Maybe. I have never heard a direct voice to my petitions. I have had feelings that lead me to believe We communicated.
5) Mostly. I treat people with respect unless things the do or say prove to the contrary.
6) Yes. Part of this is harder to put into words, but we have the opportunity to live forever and God gives that opportunity to us. He created us to be a part of a growing family and he does require worship. Read the Bible. Any version. You will get the gist of why and how to worship.
7) Absolutely Not! He only requires you to confess past sins, ask for forgiveness and then for us to do our best(No one is or was ever perfect except Jesus) to live by his commandments.
8) In my opinion--The only requirements are listed above. Repent, and live by his commandments. The 10 that is.

I'm no expert by the way. I learn more everyday. You have some very good questions, keep searching!! you'll find the Truth. You can U2U anytime

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kalomar

However, I am curious regarding the views of the "righteous Christians" who are posting in this thread.

I don't quite understand, but perhaps some of you would care to enlighten me by answering some questions on a few topics?

The Bible:
1. Do you believe the original Bible was written/manifested by God himself? (as in a physical object)

No. God never wrote the Scriptures. He wrote the 10 Commandments on stone

As already noted the main versions all say the same thing but the phrasing may be different. NASB, NIV, ESV, NKJV. They all get the same message across.

3. Do you believe the version which you read is a direct and true translation of the original Bible?

This would be impossible. We only have copies of the original autographs

4. Do you know who translated the version which you read and what kind of person(s) they were?

Almost every Bible states what team of theologians translated that particular Bible.

5. How are people who has/will never see a Bible in their life going to know/find God?

People do not "find" God. No one ever seeks after God but rather He calls those whom are predestined for salvation.

Yes

No

It would be an attribute

2. Do you fear God?

Yes. This "fear" though is not the same as fearing a bully or mean person.

No

We pray to God, He answers as we read Scripture

As often as I possibly can

Yes. He is the Creator, man was created for worship. If not God then it's something or someone else. God is worshiped through prayer, praise, song and seeking His will.

7. Does God/Jesus require that you be a member of any organized religion/church before you may call yourself a Christian?

No

To believe. There is no between. Jesus is God in the flesh, born of a virgin, He was crucified, died, buried and rose on the 3rd day. In that we are saved.

Here's the link to the whole thread Linky

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Kalomar

The Bible:
1. Do you believe the original Bible was written/manifested by God himself? (as in a physical object) I do not believe that the Hebrew Bible was written by G-d. I believe it is history of the Jewish people, and inspired by G-D. It is obvious from the Hebrew (grammar, word choice, etc) that there are several writers.

2. What version of the Bible do you read and consider to be the true one? Oxford Annotated

3. Do you believe the version which you read is a direct and true translation of the original Bible? I try to read it in the original language, so the interpretation if wrong is my own fault

4. Do you know who translated the version which you read and what kind of person(s) they were? Fair to middling Biblical scholar *winks*

5. How are people who has/will never see a Bible in their life going to know/find God? By loving and caring for the poor, the sick, the dying, the widows and orphans, and the broken-hearted (Matthew 25:13)

6. Was is possible to go to heaven before the Bible appeared? Yes. Even in the Hebrew Bible it says that G-D hears all prayers and sends rain down even upon the wicked

7. Do you believe the God of the Quran is the same as in the Bible? In some cases

1. Do you believe God is benevolent? I know G-D is benevolent. It's His followers who choose otherwise from time to time that makes Him look bad.

2. Do you fear God? The word used is one of 'respect' more than 'fear'. I 'fear' G-D like I do my parents. This is an entity that is benevolent but also was able to create multiple universes. That deserves fear and respect though it is benevolent.

3. Do you fear his adversary/satan? It depends. Yes. Evil exists. Evil is scary. G-D also exists and everything good and evil belong to It, so G-D being greater and we being a part of G-D makes it all less scary.

4. Do you or did you ever have dialogue (not monologue) with Jesus/God? Yes, but that is highly personal. I can tell you how I did it and that it was tearfully emotional and all that I dream of, but I won't tell you about it.

5. Do you treat others as you would like to be treated?I try

6. Do you believe God/Jesus require that you worship him? Why? If yes, how?Yes. I believe that we worship Jesus by caring for the poor, the sick, the infirm, the widows and orphans, the brokenhearted. That was his instruction IF we love him. So that is how we ought to worship him.

7. Does God/Jesus require that you be a member of any organized religion/church before you may call yourself a Christian? No, emphatically not. Amended: You will find Paulean Christians that will debate this, but I believe that Paul is the person Jesus spoke of that will come after that will be revered and believed while his teachings were ursurped.

8. What do you believe are the requirements to go to Heaven/Hell when you die? Is there an in between? I believe it is like Dante described. You go to Hell for as long as you feel you deserve to be there. With the falling away of the material world and you see yourself raw and without ego you will feel terrible, but G-D is a parent. We may always come home.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Is today opposite day..? I keep forgetting, but it must be.

The bible is the word of man trying to inspire (what a word to utilize here...) all people to follow it without question.

To the OP's 15 questions:

It doesn't matter.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The Bible:
It is the God-inspired human witness to His work in the history of the Jews and of the early Christians. Unlike any other book ever written, the Bible can be read over and over again and deeper understanding comes each time, if you come to it with a heart open to what it has to say.

2. What version of the Bible do you read and consider to be the true one? I read so many different versions! In our household are probably 20 versions, and also French and English versions of those. We also have the writings of many religious cults. The only Bible versions we consider to be true are those that do not deny the deity of Christ.

3. Do you believe the version which you read is a direct and true translation of the original Bible? Well, of course, we have Hebrew and Greek, which we can refer to, but find that the modern English and French versions are true to those, yes.

4. Do you know who translated the version which you read and what kind of person(s) they were? Like I said, we read many versions. The translations are identical in meaning! I can only guess at the reason for this question.

5. How are people who has/will never see a Bible in their life going to know/find God? If you truly seek Him, He will reveal himself to you.

6. Was is possible to go to heaven before the Bible appeared? The Jews believed that they would return to the dust they were made from. It was God who made the once-incomprehensible Bible make sense to me after I accepted Jesus as my Saviour. This question is a bone upon which some may choke, but for me it is irrelevant. It has been answered for me. I know in Whom I have believed, and He has promised me that I will be with Him in Heaven.

7. Do you believe the God of the Quran is the same as in the Bible? No. I have studied the Koran enough to know it belongs with the Book of Mormon and the bible of the Jehovah's Witnesses, because Jesus is made small. I would have to say that the Catholics have to make Him small, too, because they always portray Him as the baby Jesus, with Mary as the star attraction. But some are born-again and trying to change the Catholic church from within, which is good.

1. Do you believe God is benevolent? I know Him to be benevolent. He is my very best friend.

2. Do you fear God? Yes. He is my Captain. I am a soldier in his army. This is in no way a contradiction of my answer to Q1.

3. Do you fear his adversary/satan? I do not. Satan has the power to take away any earthly thing from me, but my treasures are in heaven.

A description of the experience would be very interesting He speaks to the Spirit within me, which He filled me with when I was born again.

5. Do you treat others as you would like to be treated? Not always. But when I realize that I have not, I seek their forgiveness.

6. Do you believe God/Jesus require that you worship him? Why? If yes, how? I worship God because the Holy Spirit within me wells up and worships Him. I worship Him because of our great love for each other.

7. Does God/Jesus require that you be a member of any organized religion/church before you may call yourself a Christian? No

8. What do you believe are the requirements to go to Heaven/Hell when you die? Is there an in between? If you hear the Gospel (which means "Good News") about Jesus, and yet reject him until your physical death, then you will not go to Heaven. He has been known to show Himself to people on their deathbeds, and it is not too late even then for them to accept Him. I believe in Hell, because Jesus described it in the New Testament. There is no purgatory. We may rest, or we may immediately enter; whichever does not matter. We will be with the Lord, and that is all that matters to me!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by logicalfallacy
reply to post by jackflap

Is today opposite day..? I keep forgetting, but it must be.

The bible is the word of man trying to inspire (what a word to utilize here...) all people to follow it without question.

To the OP's 15 questions:

It doesn't matter.

This thread was a list of questions to Christians as you are not such it does not apply to you.

Is there not a bridge you should be hiding under? I think I hear the Three Billy Goat's Gruff approaching...

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   

6. Yes - repent(change from your worldly ways, stop living wasteful lifestyles, separate yourself from this society, follow the 10 commandments) and you will be saved.

1. Yes - unfortunately, there are also powerful, malevolent entities out there that could masquerade as God.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

im not sure where this claim comes from. even the bible claims that it is "inspired" of god, not written by him.

while it may not have been written by him directly, you can say it was written indirectly. much like a lawyer may write a letter that contains his thoughts through a secratary who does the actual typing.

in english and spanish, i tend to prefer the NW translation. i find that it adheres quite strictly to the original transcripts.

but since no translation is perfect, i constantly find myself referenceing the hebrew and greek lexicons.

based on my experience and knowledge of the original transripts, i would say it accurate.

i find it mostly inconsequential. if i can see the translation is faithful with my own 2 eyes, then why is it important to know who wrote it?

acts 24:[15] And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.

REV 20:[13] And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

there will be a point in the future were everyone will be given accurate knowledge and will be given an oppurtunity to decide.

thats the short answer, if you want the long one, let me know

psalms 37:[10] For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
[11] But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

matt 5:[5] Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

heaven is a hope for a select few that was made available by jesus sacrficial death. for those rightoues who do not partake of that gift, they will inherit the earth.

again, the short answer

the quran is not the bible, nor is it in harmony with the bible. so no.

yes.

1 john 4:[8] He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

1 tim 2:[3]This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,[4]who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

john 3:[16] For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

god is also just. this means that he acts on behalf of those who show love by acting agaisnt those who dont.

psalms 17:[13] Arise, O LORD, disappoint him, cast him down: deliver my soul from the wicked, which is thy sword:

psalms 28:[3] Draw me not away with the wicked, and with the workers of iniquity, which speak peace to their neighbours, but mischief is in their hearts.
[4] Give them according to their deeds, and according to the wickedness of their endeavours: give them after the work of their hands; render to them their desert.

psalms 37:[10] For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.

2. Do you fear God?

yes. i fear disappointing god the same way i would fear disappointing my friends.

deut 6:[24] And the LORD commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as it is at this day.

no.

psalms 27:[1] The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
[2] When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.
[3] Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.

no. everything i need to hear from god is already available to me

1 corinthians 13:
8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.

2 tim 3:[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

i try to, but honestly it doesnt always work out that way

romans 3:[23] For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

yes.

matt 4:[10] Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

john 4:[23] But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
[24] God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

worshippiong involved doing gods will, and following his commandments

john 9:[31] Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

exodus 19:[5] Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:

deut 13:[4] Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.

heb 5:[9] And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

there where several commandments we were told to obey

learn about god

john 17:[3] And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

preach what you know

matt 18:[19] Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
[20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

love one another

john 13:[34] A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

yes, god's organization would be organized.

1 corinthians 14:[33]For God is not a God of disorder but of peace. As in all the congregations of the saints,

people would be appointed to watch over the flock

matthew 24:[45] Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?
[46] Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.

1 corinthians 12:[28] And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
[29] Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

the bible doesnt give a choice between heaven and hell. its between life or death

deut 30:[19] I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

proverbs 11:[19] As righteousness tendeth to life: so he that pursueth evil pursueth it to his own death.

jer 21:[8] And unto this people thou shalt say, Thus saith the LORD; Behold, I set before you the way of life, and the way of death.

john 5:[24] Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

rom 5:[21] That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

rom 6:[23] For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

rev 20:[15] And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. (lake of fire is used to denote destruction)

so unless you count zombies, unfortunatly, there isnt a middle ground.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The Bible:
No

Read KJV. I believe they all contain truths. I don't believe there is a true ONE Bible.

No. There isn't any such thing as an error free translation of the Bible

It was before my time

When the time comes, they'll be found.

Yes.

There is only one God.

Yes, if I can include "benevolent" is a superlative understatement. These are questions for Christians, right?.

2. Do you fear God?
Yes, but probably not in the way you mean, or at least in the common understanding of the term.

No.

Not in the conventional sense

I try to find out how people want to be treated, and treat them that way. In the short term, absent adequate appropriate time to do that, yes I consciously make the effort. Sometimes I slip.

Yes, requires a detailed answer which cannot be adequately explained here. Short version - nearly everything you do can be a form of worship.

No.

I don't believe there is a hell, in the sense it's traditionally thought to exist. I believe everyone who doesn't reject heaven will eventually and ultimately go there. The process will be very different for some than for others.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Kalomar

As in a physical object that He wrote and gave to someone, no. I believe He inspired human hands to write it.

2. & 3. What version of the Bible do you read and consider to be the true one? Do you believe the version which you read is a direct and true translation of the original Bible?

I read the NIV because of the easy readability but I don't consider any translation to be 'the true one.' There arises too many complications with translating from one language to the next. It's better to use a lexicon or a 'split' Bible with Hebrew-English, Greek-Enlgish text. One of the most literal translations is the ESV.

The NIV was translated by a board of several different linguistic experts but I've never looked into them individually. My NIV study Bible has the information in the front of the Bible and I read it once.

It says if you ask, you will find Him. Then it says man should be able to look around at the intricacy of nature and realize God exists. And this is a technicality but you don't have to see/read a Bible to hear the Gospel.

Yes.

No.

Yes. I also believe He is a perfect balance of love and justice.

2. Do you fear God?

I have an intense reverence for him. Due to both words (fear and respect) having similar definitions in the original language contexts, I'll say 'Yes.' I take God very seriously and that goes for His blessings and judgments.

No. But I believe the verse that says even the angels know not to 'antagonize' him.

I don't recall ever hearing the voice of God audibly but I do believe He communicates.

I try but fail often.

As in forced, no. But desired. And I can understand that. And we are not to worship another.

No.

Accepting Jesus Christ as your Savior and sin-bearer. I believe that is the only way and I do not believe in an in between.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The Bible:

I think it was written by humans, however, I believe that God guided them to write it a certain way.

Thats hard, because 1) There are five different ways to interpret the bible and 2) There are at least 6 Major Translations. Confusing... But I think the NIT is pretty good.

No. Nothing is the direct translation of back then, HOWEVER, I believe the core purpose or meaning is still their.

No.

He is in all of us. Even Atheists are his closest children. Perhaps more so then the believers ourselves...

Yep..

Its possible, but I do not think so. Only because of Major differences between the two. However, their are a few commonalities, but nothing close enough to say they are even CLOSE.

Yep.

2. Do you fear God?

Nope. He doesn't want us to fear him.

Nope, he has no real power.

Not really.. But then again, he does communicate through coincidence...

All the time. Sometimes, I doubt, but I am not perfect at all...

No, I really do not. Jesus, just wanted us to be happy and to know him. Live by his laws and if YOU want to, accept him as God. He does not require you to worship him or anything, he wants yourself to want to... Does that make sense..lol...

No, even Jesus was not for organized religion.

I think hell might be more of a earthly realm. Its hard to explain. The requirments to get into heaven are stated in the bible, but to be honest, I think Jesus would accept anyone that wants to be let in to be honest. Because our spirit and our physical selves are TWO very different things. I think its more of a choice to be honest. And yes I think some people would say yes they want to go to hell.

I don't think hell or heaven are reached as soon as we die. I think the Bible supports reincarnation throughout the book. I think its more of a choice or a request perhaps to return to earth. However, at the TRUE end of time heaven and hell are the only two options. But then again, I think hell is a purification process not an eternal death suite. And I don't think we can UNDERSTAND either state of Heaven or hell, without being their or being dead. We will find out at the end!

[edit on Sep 9th 2009 by TheMythLives]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

The Bible:

The Holy Scripture was written by men who were inspired by God, so it is indirectly written by God.

The original Hebrew and Greek texts. No english translation is 100% accurate due to limitations between languages such as verbs and adjectives that are not found in greek or hebrew. That being said, there are 3 types of translations... Literal to literal, meaning to meaning, and paraphrased translations. Literal to literal is like the King James or New King James versions though they have some mistranslations. Meaning to meaning are like the NIV, NRSV, etc. and are not good bibles to use for establishing doctrine because they are more lax on how they translate from the ancient texts. Meaning to meaning translations are good if you want to see alternate wording of the bible to get better understanding on certain passages. Paraphrased bibles are good if you want to establish a setting in the bible. What were the times like? How were the customs of the time. NLT is an example of a paraphrased bible... even amplified bibles fall in this category. Once again, paraphrased bibles are not good for establishing doctrine because the translators are usually biased and have a set of beliefs that they try to feed into their translations. Your best bet, have multiple translations to reference and you'll get an overall picture. I personally read the NKJV.

Once again, no. The only direct and true translation is the ancient Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic texts. There is a language gap.

NKJV was translated by bible scholars and was basically retranslated from the original KJV using modern english and correcting many of the mistranslations.

There are two resurrections that take place. The first is for the saints and the second comes 1000 years later for all of humanity. There will be a genuine chance of repentance for everyone and they will undoubtedly see/hear God/Christ/Angels. They will have a choice of everlasting life or permanent death in the lake of fire... virtually ceasing to exist.

Heaven was never intended for mankind... earth was. Even in the New Testament John writes "No man has entered into heaven except He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven." (John 3:13). When you die, it is body and soul that die together. It isn't till the return of Christ that anyone is resurrected back to life. Until then, the dead are resting/sleeping.... righteous and unrighteous.

Though muslims worship God in a different way, it is the same God. Those who say differently are ill-educated in the matter. Islam came from Abraham, just as Judaism and Christianity. All three religions worship the same God in different ways. Islam has it's roots in Abraham's first son, Ishmael who he exiled after Sarah pleaded with him to do so when Isaac was born.

One of many attributes of God. But God and Jesus are two separate beings. One is the Father and One is the Son.

2. Do you fear God?

I fear God in the biblical sense. The biblical sense of fearing God is to have deep respect and cooperation with God. Not being afraid of God.

I fear for the people blinded by Satan but I do not fear Satan because I have the power of God working on my side.

Prayer is a powerful thing. I was standing outside one evening after sunset just looking at the clouds and praying to God and asking for assurance for weather I was saved or not. The moment my prayer was finished, a rushing wind twirled around me as ribbons wrapping around my body. It's as if God's Holy Spirit was reassuring me. That is powerful dialogue to me.

I try my darndest to do so. It's one of God's commandments and though we fall short of righteousness, we still have to work at following the commandments without burden. when you stumble, don't stay on the ground. Get up and keep on walking.

Yes. But it's not the worship that people percieve. Instead of falling on the ground and doing hand motions, one only needs to do God's work and live a righteous life to the best of his/her ability.

To be christian means to follow Christ. Church is not a building... it's a gathering of people to worship God. You don't have to go to church to be a christian but you are encouraged to go every Sabbath.

No heaven for mankind until all is fulfilled. Heaven and earth merge together to create heaven on earth (Rev. 22). Your death has nothing to do with weather you become a memeber of God's family. While on earth, if you live a christian life, you will take part in the first resurrection and become a ruler with Christ on earth. If not, you have a chance to become a member of God's family in the 2nd resurrection. Those who refuse get a 2nd death sentence... eternal death. No chance for resurrection but no everlasting punishment either. God's mercy at work. No in-between either.

Hope this helped.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   

I'm not a Christian, and don't believe in organized religion. But I am a big fan of the bible itself, so I'll answer them for you.

The Bible:

No. It is not the word of god, if it is divinely inspired then the word of god would be that which they heard. It does however contain wisdom and understanding, and those who have heard that word can see that word being repeated. But you can't get that from the book itself.

Usually KJV, but it doesn't really matter to me. I didn't learn from the bible, I mostly use it as a way of communicating and expressing things to others. It is like a common language of sorts, kind of like how in 1 language we call a tree a "tree", but then in another language it is a different word - but still a tree.

Knowledge of those things is understanding, and understanding is like math. The literal words of the bible are like 1+1=2 and 2+2=4. But to really understand what it means is like knowing how to add. Big difference between someone repeating 1+1=2 and someone being able to add - many christians dont' know how to add.

No, the father gives in terms of understanding, not a spoken or word like men use. Rather than the father giving to you in terms of 1+1=2, you just know and understand how to add. At best, it can only be a true expression of the understanding. Math is universal because it is understanding. Knowledge of the divine is like this as well.

Don't care, it's not an authority for me. I have no problem pointing out contradictions and those which are not true in the bible. It contains "both" sides of things, good and evil. Only those with understanding know which is which.

Anyone who seeks the father, who seeks the truth and seeks understanding will be given it. The father is not limited to a book, and can speak to someone just as easily as he spoke to whoever wrote the bible. Understanding is universal. They might not use the same words and sayings to express that understanding they are given, but a rose by any other name smells the same. Are 1+1=2 and 2+2=4 not true expressions of the same understanding?

Doesn't really factor into the equation, in many cases the bible blinds people even further. It's what the person seeks that matters.

The father and what people say about the father are 2 different things. In the end, there is only 1 true father/God. Rather than seeing things as "God's chosen people", I think it's "people who have chose god". You'll find them around the world among any number of religions. If they are true, then the understanding will be the same.

Sure

2. Do you fear God?

That means to respect, not fear in like the way you fear a bear in the woods at night. Like the way you might fear letting your parents or loved ones down or disappointing them. That kind of fear, and sure.

I'll put it in terms of death and a Mark Twain quote I love. I'm not scared of death - I just don't want to be there when it happens.

Once with the father, in a vision. He only asked me a single question. After that, it's all about understanding. If I have questions about things, rather than direct answers, I'm given understanding of it instead. To where I just know the truth, rather than repeating it.

Try too.

Not in the way you are probably thinking. It's more about respect/love.

No, quite the opposite.

You reap what you sow. How can you expect to live in a society without theft and murder if you yourself are one who steals and kills? If you are and do like that, then your very presence would make the place no longer exist.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

1. Do you believe the original Bible was written/manifested by God himself?(as in a physical object)

I believe that great men of God wrote the bible by God's will and spirit. The bible is the word of God. I mean so great of men that the spirit was fully in these men. That they didn't speak their words but the word of God. The bible has many writers and non of them could write history so correctly without the hand of God on him. And I believe most of these mean are saints of God prophets of God.

I memorize The King James and read alot from NIV. To be honest I read and compare the scriptures of one bible to the other and I pray upon it. But to get accurate knowledge I would compare to the language of the bible.

There is no original bible. The bible was made from many writers and scrolls. Put together mostly by roman catholic church. Do I believe that the KJV or the NIV or other American bible is true translation of the original bible. I would say no. The first original bible was made by the roman catholic church back in the times of acts the church was looking out for themselves more than what God wanted so I don't even believe the very first bible was a true translation of God's word. Now if you ask me do I believe that the KJV or NIV is the word of God. I say yes. I believe that God put these books for us to understand that truth of God. without the bible none would not the truth or the light.

Mostly yes I do. But I sometimes forget. I believe that the KJV was made by a man for King James. The NIV was made by a senate of people and or a group of people scholars and all. I used to know more about the writers but I have forgotten.

I believe that the bible teaches that those who don't know will be ok. Those that live a good life will have life after death and those that don't go to hell. Weather there is a heaven or hell does not mean that you bad or good person. No evil heart will enter heaven.

The bible teaches that when you are dead that you are asleep. And that at the end of times those in there graves and death will be resurrected for judgment. But I know that the prophets like Moses went to heaven for they appear to other people after they where dead.

7. Do you believe the God of the Qumran is the same as in the Bible?

The Quran has the first 5 books of the bible so this is a yes and no answer. I believe that God was in the first give books trying to save his people and doing judgment on those that where evil. But the God of Islam does not exist . So I dont believe that Islam is following a true God. God didn't say kill your own children. Do I believe that Quran is the word of God? Outside of the first five books no I don't. Do I believe Muhammad was a man of God. No I don't. Muhammad was exposed to Christianity long before he came to his beliefs. Not only that I will not believe holy man of God who God talks to and sends his angels to will is unholy. Muhammad marry a 9 year old Christian girl. And to believe that this man was of God. I doubt.

I am probably one of few Christian here that believe that Jesus is the Son of God and not God. I do believe Jesus is the perfect manifestion of God. But Jesus does God's will and not his own. Jesus prays and talks to God. Jesus never talk to himself. I believe that this scripture alone proves who Jesus is. I do believe Jesus is Divine. And I do believe what most Christians believe. I just believe Jesus is THE SON OF GOD. Jesus is either God or the Son of God and he cant be both.

Bible scripture
John 6 38-40
38For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day."

I do believe God is benevolent. But I understand that God is God and he is a father that had made laws to follow life. I understand that there is evil in the world that God does not want. God is love but God is also teacher of truth. To teach you children you must let them stray.

2. Do you fear God?

Yes I do. But I probably don't fear him as much as I should. Remember God want you to love and follow and fear him.

I don't fear Satan for my soul. Satan has no control of my soul. Satan cant make me swear a oath to him. I fear what Satan can do to my body and I fear what he might do to try to get me not to believe.

Jesus or God has never spoken out right to me. But I do believe that God and Jesus has direct experiences to me to make me believe in him. I believe in God and Jesus with all my heart. And God push me to believe in him. Sometimes he might well have spoken to me. I believe that God speaks to us through the bible. As for a story let just say that God or his angels hug me in a church once when I was all alone. Even the people in the church didn't care for my sorrow but God took the time to make share that I knew I was not alone. I will never forget the Hug. Thanks God and Jesus.

I try my best but I know that I fell sometimes. But end the end I try to be a good person.

Of course I do. All being on earth will one day worship God. Even the angels in heaven worship God.

You don't have to go to church to be saved. People go to church all the time, but even Satan goes to church. Listen to the preacher is not what saves you. What saves your will in your heart for God.

I do believe that you have to be baptize, I also believe that you have to have a personal relationship with God (which means that got to pray to God ]and he got to talk to you throw the bible). I believe you have to ask forgiveness of your sins. And I believe you have to try to always be good person for God. Even if you fell sometimes you cant let that stop God's will in you.

I think what some of us Christians forget is that God is always watching and hes always teaching us. So as God is always remembering us so we should remember God on a day to day minute to minute basis.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by slymattb]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Kalomar

I wasn't going to reply to this because of the OP's Avatar which is boldly insulting to those that are trying to follow the commands Jesus gave Christians.

But for less skeptical minds that might read this I will answer these questions

1. Do you believe the original Bible was written/manifested by God himself?(as in a physical object)

Yes, one author God, 40 inspired writers, and 66 mini-books which became known as the bible. Also if you believe in God you must have faith that the supreme being can and would protect and preserve the directions and history that he wanted to too. He did this with the bible.

I have 6 different hard copies of the bible, and I can use any one of these to show people the truth of what the bible really teaches. I also make use of the internet sites that have multiple bibles listed. My 2 favorites are:
Biblos.com & BibleGateway.com

Yes, as I also own a Greek/English Interlinear Translation too to make sure. I also own Strong's Dictionary of Bible Words and Vine's complete Expository Dictionary. These have all the ancient Hebrew and Greek words translated into English. The websites that I mentioned above also have references to Greek and Hebrew too. To understand the bible you must learn at least a few Greek or Hebrew words.

Do I know them personally? No, I doubt most bible readers do. I trust the bibles I use because I check up on the accuracy of the translators, with he Greek and Hebrew I know. I don't think this question is very pertinent.

The bible is in more languages than any book ever produced, and is available to anybody with an internet connection, which means even a cell phone now. This may have been a larger issue 50 years ago but not now.
It's this new technology that only helps to accelerate the fulfillment of Matthew 24:14

14And this good news of the kingdom (the Gospel) will be preached throughout the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then will come the end.

God has the ability to make sure everybody hears the message one way or another. As for the people that have died without knowing, God has forgiven there sins they will be back on this earth in the future when they will be educated as to who the true God is and his purpose for the earth and humanity.

This is a good question, that Christians might debate amongst themselves.
With the exception of Jesus Christ who went back to where he came from anyway, my answer is no. Whereas the answer is very long, I will keep it short.
First nobody could go to heaven until Jesus sacrificed himself saving all of humanity, this is the first cut off line historically. Second nobody was going to heaven until after the war in heaven was over. As this happened much later after the book Revelation that told about it was completed, this advances to the second historical line. Since the bible was completed in 98 CE, my answer is definitely no.

7. Do you believe the God of the Qumran is the same as in the Bible?

If you take the entire Quran into consideration, the answer is no. Ishmael's descendant's do not except Jesus Christ as the redeemer of mankind or the real son of God. Because the Quran doesn't teach that, so how can they be the same if there is such a divergence of truth.

I do not believe in the trinity, it is false dogma invented in the 4th Century by some old men who went apostate at the Council of Nicaea in 325 CE.
en.wikipedia.org...
The truth is Jesus Christ is the first son of God, he was created before time and space existed.

Next series

Yes, 3 of God's major attributes are Love, Justice, Wisdom when you mix them in perfect harmony with a being that has existed for infinity, sometimes things don't happen as fast as a human that lives less than a century would like.

2. Do you fear God?

Yes, but not his justice since it is perfect I will always accept it no matter what.

No, but I understand that he can make my life miserable like he did with Job.

No, but I prey to God who answers prayers, sometimes no answer is the answer.

I try to. Some days people make it very hard.

Yes, God does, but not Jesus. The bible tells us too. And we do this by respecting him and following his directions to us found in the bible.

Does God/Jesus require that you be a member of any organized religion/church before you may call yourself a Christian?

No, but to do things exactly God's way is a different matter, with a different answer that changed throughout history.

I don't believe in hell, and there is no in between see this thread
Why Hell Doesn't Exist

As for going to heaven, a very small percentage of humanity are actually going there. A better question would be what do we need to do to be approved by God to live forever on the earth?

John 17:3 is a start

3And this is eternal life: [it means] to know (to perceive, recognize, become acquainted with, and understand) You, the only true and real God, and [likewise] to know Him, Jesus [as the] Christ (the Anointed One, the Messiah), Whom You have sent.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I don't know if the OP changed his Avatar but I don't see how its insulting. It plainly says that the bible is right.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb
I don't know if the OP changed his Avatar but I don't see how its insulting. It plainly says that the bible is right.

I personally found it to be outright hilarious. It's one of the funniest avatars I've seen on this site.

Pete and Repeat are on a boat. Pete falls off. Who is left?

top topics

join