It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A boat wich strangely look like a plane...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ValueJudgement
Greetings all.

i stand corrected flying wings were not invented by russians or by the US but by the germans. however a little looking into what you just said brigs up this:

...Reimar and Walter Horten were a step ahead, testing an all-wing sailplane in 1933...

so they ARE related. i gather the difficulty was in finding a suitable area to land in for such a massive aircraft.

whethere it lands on water or on land is inconsequential as the main thing is that flying wing tech is a loong running project.

Ok, reality check: 1,2,3..

SAILPLANE IS A UNPOWERED AEROPLANE. has nothing to do with water.. they are towed airborne by other planes or car/ground equipment.

Horten H 1 SAILPLANE.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ValueJudgement
Greetings all.
bah, i might as well correct myself b4 someone else does it. it appeares that flying wing tech is even older that the Hoten brothers:

Beginning in the late 1920s, Jack Northrop, founder of Northrop Aircraft Co. (known today as Northrop Grumman), led the design of several military planes based on the flying-wing design. Later, Northrop's company was one of those contracted by the U.S. Army Air Corps to build a longer-range bomber during World War II. Northrop delivered the YB-49.

All "US" flying wings are after Horten inventions. Bad copies that never made it, exept B-2.. but that was way later.
50 Years or more..

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Horten supposedly actually got to flight testing, and one of their planes (Horten IX?) flew at 950kph. There were no stability problems reported, and it used the split drag rudder arrangement that the B-2 uses (and the YF-23, to an extent). In fact, the Horten IX can be regarded as the first stealth aircraft - it had low RCS (except the leading edges didn't have chines and the compressor faces were visivle), it was built largely out of wood and the engines were up top on the wing, shielding them from the ground. Very much like our common or garden variety Boeing special...

As for this thing, it reminds me of one of the entries for the Amerikabomber program. Obviously, this is some kind of civilian transport variant.

The sheer size of the thing would mean it could only really land on water... landing gear would be massive and bulky. Boeing's Phantom Works is working on a huge ground-effect plane roughly that size.

[Edited on 10-9-2003 by Lampyridae]

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Here it is airborne in 1944

Horten IX also known as HO 229.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I can't even see what kind of powerplant is pushing the thing. Those six engines are way too small. If that's the bridge you also couldn't look out the sides of the aircraft. It could never fly, anyway, not without some sort of anti-gravity doing the pushing. I'd agree with the notion that it's some sort of Sci-Fi prop.

Nans, there's a website that may interest you:

www.luft46.com...

...if you haven't seen it already.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Sweet. Is that the glider? I know they had successful flights of the glider variants. The Allies found a half-built powered one in a hangar. There was also another gull-winged flying wing developed by somebody else... they got as far as a wooden mockup. It had pusher props, a remote-controlled rear turret cannon - something like the plane you saw in Raiders oof the Lost Ark

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 10:04 AM
link   
It is this the "thing" that is flying in the other photo.

And it flew under its own power.