It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Encouraged on Mideast peace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama won lavish praise from his Egyptian counterpart on Tuesday and spoke of an "extraordinary opportunity" for making peace in the Middle East, saying he was encouraged by U.S. efforts to restart talks between Israel and the Palestinians.

Link to Source

Seated next to President Hosni Mubarak, who was making his first visit to the U.S. capital in five years, Obama thanked his Egyptian counterpart for joining him in trying to construct a deal that has eluded world leaders for more than six decades.

Returning the compliment, Mubarak asserted that Obama's speech to the Muslim world - delivered in Cairo earlier this summer - had convinced Arabs the United States truly was an honest broker.

I love it when my president breaks his back trying to kiss the rump of a foreigner. I'm surprised they didn't have to put up a curtain so they could kiss each other in private.

The 81-year-old Egyptian leader, who was estranged from the Bush administration, said Obama had "removed all doubts about the United States and the Muslim world."

Mubarak said, "The Islamic world had thought that the U.S. was against Islam, but his (Obama's) great, fantastic address there has removed all those doubts."

It's also very comforting to know that the American people are not the only ones being lied to.

Hosni didn't visit Bush because he was against the war in Iraq. He has no problems with the continued presence in Iraq and the raping of Afghanistan. I suppose the Afghanis just aren't worth as much as Iraqis.

Something really, really ugly is going on with these two. Anyone have any ideas about what it is? Why are we buddying up with Egypt? I bet Obama would LOVE to be president for 28 years. Maybe he can learn a little bit more about oppression and Hosni can learn a little more about lying.

join