It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico replaces customs staff, revamps borders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Mexico replaces customs staff, revamps borders

news.yahoo.com

MEXICO CITY – Mexico has replaced all 700 of its customs inspectors with agents newly trained to detect contraband, from guns and drugs to TVs and other big-ticket appliances smuggled to avoid import duties.

The shake-up — part of a broader effort to root out corruption and improve vigilance at Mexican ports with new technology — doubled the size of Mexico's customs inspection force.

The inspectors at all 49 of Mexico's customs points were replaced with 1,400 better-educated agents who have undergone background checks and months of training, Tax Administration Service spokesman P
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Contracts...Satan's hitching post. I can't begin to explain how often the contracts I signed, for cell phones, health clubs, etc. have ended badly...I guess Mexico is learning the same lesson. I bet they wish they could get out of that one they signed agreeing to buy Oil for $120/barrel for 3 years, 15 months ago.

Our borders are insecure because of corruption, we can't secure our borders because we have a contract with the corrupt border agents and we'll be sued if we fire and replace them. So the world has to put up with an incredibly corrupt customs regime until the contract expires.

Is this anyway to manage a world?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
This will accomplish nothing as the major drug cartels bring in their product to ports and by airplane where they've paid off everyone involved. All this will do is knock out the independents who are trying to make some quick money. I don't really care though as my personal favorite is a home grown commodity despite our fearless leaders saying it was all the terrorists or something equally stupid. It's a shame the whole topic is censored on ATS and there will never be a open honest discussion about it here.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I think they don't want to stop it, they want to seize it. The old customs scheme was owned by the cartels, now the customs scheme is owned by someone else.

If the cartels are not paying the tax, they'll lose their product. Whether its weapons, drugs, money or whatever.

The change is more profound and is worthy of appreciation. The borders of Mexico have been captured and the losers have no recourse.

new topics

top topics

join