It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belief is *NOT* Faith. Faith is the antidote for belief.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Belief systems constantly get in the way of Faith.

Belief is an attempt to view Faith in the same way people view Reason. Belief actually causes people to lose Faith because Belief convinces people that there is one way things can be or should be, but Faith allows for all possibilities and new opportunities which Belief, like Reason, doesn't allow the mind to entertain.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
What would be an example of this concept, believing in Jesus?
In Christianity, belief in Jesus leads to faith in your salvation in Christ.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
What would be an example of this concept, believing in Jesus?
In Christianity, belief in Jesus leads to faith in your salvation in Christ.

Well, that depends entirely on what you believe about Jesus.

Even he stated "According to your faith be it done unto you".

[edit on 16-8-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Belief is blind faith. Faith is based on understanding Like we have faith the sun will rise tomorrow because we have understanding of the cycle.

Belief is contradictory to the bible and relies on acceptance rather than understanding. Verse after verse after verse warns and speaks against such things, but it generally falls on deaf ears when it comes to organized religion.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I don't know about that. It could be concerning what you want from God. In your example, it could be someone asking to be healed. I do not think there is a clear distinction, at least from Jesus' statements in the Gospels.
I was looking for one last night and that is why I responded to your post. You might find it in Paul because he reinterpreted some words like Faith and flesh and spirit, to fit his theology. In the words of Jesus, they (belief and faith) seem to be interchangeable.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

I don't know about that. It could be concerning what you want from God. In your example, it could be someone asking to be healed. I do not think there is a clear distinction, at least from Jesus' statements in the Gospels.
I was looking for one last night and that is why I responded to your post. You might find it in Paul because he reinterpreted some words like Faith and flesh and spirit, to fit his theology. In the words of Jesus, they (belief and faith) seem to be interchangeable.

I think the words to be interchangeable. When the woman touches Jesus garments, she was healed because of her faith. Did she not 'believe' that touching His hem would make her whole. I don't see any difference.

(edit) Perhaps the problem being noted lies in areas where a person's beliefs are not faith based.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by JustG]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It's all a matter of opinion.

Really.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

You have to believe in something before you can have faith in it. Would an athiest have faith in God if they don't believe in God? They don't have faith in God because they don't believe in God. You must believe to have faith. Faith is defined as "believeing in something or someone you can't see, hear, touch, or prove to be real."

The fundamental difference in an athiest and religious beliefs is that an athiest needs proof that something exists while the religious person has faith because they feel something bigger is at work.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustG
I think the words to be interchangeable.

I thought so too, but then I just want to look at thing as simple as they are!

The OP's post is quite confusing really, you can call me stupid, but that's how I see it, no offense.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

It's like I said. You need to believe in order to have faith. You also need faith in order to believe in something that may or may not be real. I think the two words are co-equal in the aspect of religion.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Well God has already defined faith for us in the bible. So I am going with HIS definition.

Hebrews 11:1

Faith makes us sure of what we hope for and gives us proof of what we cannot see.

Another bible puts it this way

Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld.

Then it goes on to gives examples of people who in the past showed such faith I will just quote one.

Verse 7

7 By faith Noah, after being given divine warning of things not yet beheld, showed godly fear and constructed an ark for the saving of his household; and through this [faith] he condemned the world, and he became an heir of the righteousness that is according to faith.

and then verse 13

In faith all these died, although they did not get the [fulfillment of the] promises, but they saw them afar off and welcomed them and publicly declared that they were strangers and temporary residents in the land.

It's night time right now as I post this, I have faith that tomorrow the sun will come out and we will have light again. My faith in this is that it has happened thousands of times before. Similarly God has always fulfilled his promises before when it comes to bible prophesy, and he will do it again as sure as the sun will rise again.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Well done bluejay! You can also define faith as "the full and uncompromised trust in God."

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
The 'I' person is a full beliefsystem

Faith is the direction, another word for choice,
of ignoring or growing further

by honesty, chaos is allowed, by faith you allow your security to be taken away,
to replace it with a bigger truth,
because you believe in a bigger truth before you know it.

Your beliefsystem will enlarge, after chaos,it is by faith.

Faith is choice between zero and one
zero keeps you safe in the same system,
one gives you the cross, chaos, but enlarging it

it will end with god, because honesty is truth.

you do not need to see god, to believe with faith (fruits) in him.
Absolute truth is another word for god,

If you die for, or struggle for truth, for love
you are from him, faith is what saves,
because it brings you to be part of the One cross,
of One god.
God is not owned by religion, they do not understand
that jesus told us to be skeptic, we have to proof, and we do it
by faith.

God is waiting for the lost sheep. when you are lost, you don't know home,
but you are honest, and that honesty will bring you into heaven,
even when you do not believe in it all your live. Honesty will
always give you a cross to carry. That pain will enlarge your heart
and make you in need of searching justification, forgiveness.

It's not about words that are empty.
its about love with is justification and understanding
and is built by care not neglect.

repenting and regret = to SEE
forgiveness = UNDERSTANDING

old words for normal caring behaviour.

Jonathan.
thegospeloflove.com

[edit on 17-8-2009 by pasttheclouds]

[edit on 17-8-2009 by pasttheclouds]

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Our beliefs form based on our personalities and experiences. It makes sense not to worry about the resulting beliefs that in turn result in our individual faiths--one of 7 billion unique human earthling views of the universe.

top topics

join