It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nursing Homes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If you think that nursing homes are some pretty getaway to be spoiled and waited on guess again. I got a job working in the kitchen of a local nursing home five years ago after finishing high school.

A couple weeks into my position I began to notice something strange happening, there is section of kitchen were all the prepared meals are put onto trays before they are given to residents. One of RN’s in charge of distributing all the medications came down to where all the meals had been sitting and began to put drugs into the food. As crazy as that sounds that what I saw her doing for ten minutes, nobody else in kitchen seemed to care except for me. Then the nursing aides came down after the RN was done “modifying” the resident’s food and took up to the dining room.

Shortly after seeing this travesty I went to my supervisor considering what I saw was nothing short of criminal. I explained my observations to him, he said not worry about it were completely different department we don’t get involved with medical staff. The next day I didn’t show up for work, after seeing only a small portion of what was being done behind the scene it made me question what other kinds of abuse were happening and to what extent.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Oil

Although in the strictest sense, what you saw this RN doing was illegal, it's very easy to judge.

How do you give a drug to a 90 year old lady, that has Alzheimer's and refuses her meds? Perhaps the only way to give it to her was to hide it in the food.

I worked in a UK care home, and the RNs were legally allowed to grind up the drugs (in most cases life saving, or antibiotics) and put them in the food, with the permission of doctors/families.

Now I don't kow the exact medical issues of the patients, or the ages or degrees of mental impairment (dementia etc), so you may be right.

But sometimes, nurses have to be resourceful in giving patients their meds, as some will refuse outright, spit pills out etc.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
That's the biggest problem in this country right now: The "righteous" think they're doing what's best for the weak!

It's wrong to force someone, anyone, to do something against their will, despite the consequences.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Shamrock87

it isn't about forcing someone to do something against their will.

It could be that for some reasion due to their dementia they refuse medication that is keeping them alive (heart medication, kidney function meds), I mean they still eat, but bring a pill up to them and they wil fight for dear life.

They don't know that the pill is keeping them pain free, or alive, they just spit the pill out because it's a pill, or being given by a nurse.

Strictly speaking the nurse is going against thier will, but when they are severely affected by dementia or alzheimers, it is neccessary to do this.

Unless you have seen this first hand, it is hard to explain.

I've seen dozens of patients literally starve themselves until their organs down because they cannot coordinate the process of chewing due to dementia.

It's not always so clear cut I'm afraid!

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Oil

I can imagine that was very unnerving to see this happening.
If she was taking her time, attending to different trays in different ways, then she probably was administering meds as per doctor's orders. And sometimes elderly patients can't swallow liquids, and must have thickeners put even in their water. You are probably familiar with that since you work in a nursing home.

On the other hand, if she was just distributing something over all the trays without attending carefully to each one, then I would have been suspicious also. Reporting it was the right thing to do.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Oh but it is! Sneaking pills into someone's food is crafty and deceiving, regardless of their mental state. Not every elderly person has dementia, not every old person is crazy. In fact most are fully aware.

My grandfather smokes a pack a day and drinks a bottle of MD 20/20, still alive, doing just what he wants to do. Putting people in nursing homes in cruel enough! But then making them do something against their will? That's inhumane.

Your perspective and judgment is perhaps more clouded than theirs is. Imagine you are that old. Then imagine living in a hell where you are forced to take pain medication, so that you do not feel. Imagine being forced to take mind altering meds so that you cannot think. Imagine living in constant state of numbness.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
wow, some of you people should sit down in a nursing home and have a conversation with someone that suffers from dimentia...It's horrible. They don't remember if they have taken their pills or not, whether, they've had lunch or not. They will fight if they "think they took them" and they haven't. I have 2 grandmothers that have alzheimer's and dementia and it is horrible to see them this way.

4 minute memories and not knowing what day, let alone what year it is can be scary. Let these people have their meds, any way the staff can get it in them.

I agree, if these were just something thrown into everyones' meals it's not right or legal, but if it was systematic and dispensed properly, no harm no foul if directed by family and doctors.

A_L

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a family member of mine is second in charge of a nursing home for good samaritan. They all have medications that they have to take, or they die.

were the meals labelled as to whom they were going to or were they just put in randomly? Care of the people is given to the organization. Also, when somebody dies there, the cops come, no matter what, unless it's in the "long term health" wing.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shamrock87

Your perspective and judgment is perhaps more clouded than theirs is. Imagine you are that old. Then imagine living in a hell where you are forced to take pain medication, so that you do not feel. Imagine being forced to take mind altering meds so that you cannot think. Imagine living in constant state of numbness.

Then again the governments in the world slip all kinds of chemicals into the water the supply, chemtrails and pesticides without public consent. This is no different except it's targeting our most cherished populace who worked hard so we can live the way we are now.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I don't want to get into an argument about this, but you really don't know what you're on about mate.

In an ideal world our elderly people would be free, live on paradise island, and have everything they want, leading full energetic lives, dying peacefully in their sleep.

The reality for most elderly people, that cannot care for themselves (and therefore are in a care home) is not this.

Yes some people live to a hundred, and they walk, have good lives, but for every one of those I tell you there is a THOUSAND that are blind, can't move let alone walk, have bed sores, are incontinent of faeces and urine, need to be fed, have MRSA, everything.

Mate you really cannot judge the nurses in this situation from how good your grandad is.

Sorry, I wish all elderly people were like him, but they are not, sadly.

Some people need to be numbed, know what it's like to have every joint throbbing with arthritis? Ever had a bed sore, that is to the bone? Know how it feels to have your nerve endings burn after multiple strokes?

No mate, nor do I , but I guarantee I'd want pain killers, but IF I had dementia/alzheimers and tried to fight my meds, I'd want them to get them n me some how.

In an ideal wotld this wouldn't happen, but this isn't an ideal world mate.

All the best, Kiwifoot

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Oil

Originally posted by Shamrock87

Then again the governments in the world slip all kinds of chemicals into the water the supply, chemtrails and pesticides without public consent. This is no different except it's targeting our most cherished populace who worked hard so we can live the way we are now.

Listen, if you wanted to kill of the elderly, you STOP the meds, you don't GIVE them the meds, these meds keep them alive.

Another good way, release a flu, a twist on the seasonal flu, that'll do it too.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Putting people in nursing homes is cruel....?
Would you prefer they live under a bridge? Because that is where many of them would be if we didn't have nursing homes. The creation of nursing homes was in response to a societal need.

I don't think you have witnessed some of the things that can happen to us humans when sick and elderly. It's not a very pretty sight.
For those who can function independently, how grateful I know they must be. Not everybody's that lucky, nor or they lucky enough to have family who are able or willing to provide care for them.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Good thread Big Oil..........star, and flag.

So far you and shamrock 87 are the ones playing in the land of reality....ladyinwaiting is touching the land.

Does any here realize the scam involved in nursing homes with theft of wealth, or inheritance???

C'mon. Sometimes I think the sheeple deserve every last ounce of cruelty dealt to them.

In many nursing homes it is an organized crime affair which usually leads to the govt.; this crime is in the nature of fraud, robbery, and murder.

The old folks are drugged into stuper's where they seem to be shy about a half a load of bricks..................'granny is too stupid to go visit'.

The nursing homes keep them just coherent enough so there is no power of attorney transfer.

The hospital staff then bring in their attorneys who are in on the scam; they have the defenseless person sign over their accumulated wealth..

That's what happens.

The sheeple allow that to happen to their family member's, and it'll happen to them some day. It's a violent horrific cycle.

top topics

join