It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manna from the skies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I know you people have knowledge in just about every topic imaginable. So, i was wondering if you know anything about the manna used during Moses's time.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
No man knows the substances within manna. The food is presumed to be the perfect food, given by God to the nation led by Moses for sustenance.

An interesting side story, however, was that ultimately many of Moses' followers tired of it. I suppose that one would tire of even the best food in time. So they were thereafter given quail.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
check out www.onealclan.com (History of the Bible Code), where a dramatic story about that time in history is told. Many photos from around the world, fascinating Bible Code information and fancy graphics.

Strange, but true, stuff.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
wasn't manna a bread like substance, that had the taste of honey? or i could be completely wrong. it was said that the people would be able to gather as much manna as they needed for the day, any leftovers would turn into worms (larvae?). i'm not sure if this helps, but it might.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Thanks for the information. ill check it out.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Exodus 16:31

The people of Israel called the bread manna. It was white like coriander seed and tasted like wafers made with honey.

Exodus 16:32

Moses said, "This is what the LORD has commanded: 'Take an omer of manna and keep it for the generations to come, so they can see the bread I gave you to eat in the desert when I brought you out of Egypt.' "

Psalm 78:24

he rained down manna for the people to eat, he gave them the grain of heaven.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Reference for manna/mana:
Manna/Mana or Flowering Ash
Manna

Manna is the name of the food miraculously produced for the Israelites in the desert in the book of Exodus.
The modern material known as manna is a secretion from certain desert or semi-desert shrubs. The material is produced by sap-sucking insects that secrete a honeydew like liquid, that when dried forms manna; manna has a sweet taste, and eaten in large quantities is mildly laxative.

There is a material meaning and a spiritual meaning for the word making up the Biblical "manna".

seekerof

[Edited on 15-5-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I believe an entymologist explained it best. He theorized that since at that time in that desert there had been a particular bug that swarmed in the skies above but was fairly small (not as large as a locust). That the "Mana from heaven" was really these bugs defecating in masses.

So basically it was a little sprinkle of insect feces that kept them alive. And the entymologist concluded you COULD live off the amounts that would be produced in a migratory swarm and such.

I forget where I read that though
it was a good argument.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   
maybe I can help here..........???

I DONT KNOW if this product Ive purchased is the REAL BIBLICAL deal, but the makers CLAIM it IS! other of the claims they make I have FOUND to be TRUE!

you can buy a product called Manna......and it NOT very tasty, but high in protien and vitamin content. From a UTAH based company called YOUNG LIVING OILS in Payson UTAH...they do have a web site, but I have no link.

They had claimed this MANNA had been reveiled to them (dont KNOW how) prolly an Angel, or channeling??

They claim this Manna is the real deal in the true biblical sense...... I bought some to try over a year ago...and it was not SO good.
They DO make the VERY BEST essential oils I have ever come across. Ive seen MIRICLES happen in healing using these oils! thats WHY I am willing to TRY anything they make.....thats why I tried the MANNA. But I dont have any plans to stock up on it...they say it takes time getting used to the taste

[Edited on 15-5-2004 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I recently read about the history of manna and would like to share these exerpts from the book:

"During the desert wanderings, 15,000 pounds of manna a week fell from Heaven to feed the Hebrews. One morning they found the ground covered with little grains like hoar-frost, and when they saw it the first time they exclaimed in Hebrew, "Manna?" "What is this?" For 40 years God fed them on this miraculous food, till they entered the Promised Land..."

"Every morning, except the Sabbath, the ground was found covered with manna, which had to be gathered before the heat of the sun corrupted it; if a family gatheredmore than wanted for food during the day, it became offensive; but the double portion found Friday morning for that day and Saturday did not corrupt. They made the manna into thin cakes like those of the Passover and of the Mass... A gold ciborium filled with the miraculous manna was placed in the ark to remind them of the miracle..."

"The Orientals still gather a kind of manna, which has not the qualities of that of Scripture. It is not a food but a purgative medicine; it does not fall all the year, but only from May to August; it is found only it keeps for a long time without corruption..."

- from the book "How Christ Said the First Mass" by Father James L. Meagher, D.D., Tan Books & Publishers, Inc.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I have often heard that 'Manna' translates as something like "WTF is this?"

Well, more or less.

The silliest idea I have heard for what manna is, and I only mention it becuase no one else seems to have, is that its did in fact literally rain down out of the heavens, and was acutally inter-stellar carbohydrates sloughing off a passing comet. I say silly, not because complex organic molecules can't form in space (they, infact, can) but rather because, well, think about it. The hebrews talk about lots, i mean, lots of this stuff comming too them. So this would mean that a passing comet rained this stuff down for all that time (they were in the dessert for 40 years no?) on the specific and extremely small area that these wandering tribes occupied? Thats a pretty large comet on its own, and how could it be so specific in its targeting? SUrely it would have affect a very large area, so it'd have to be exponentially bigger. And you'd think the cannanites or greeks or hittites would be like 'wtf is this crap comming out of the sky?'

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Well, it's obvious that God wasn't consirned with his people living on a high carb diet. Dr Atkins would be stoned to death in those times.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
carbohydrates with some sugars,you might say manufactured below, from petroleum,and air dropped.
Still wasn't good enough ay?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I realize this is a very old post..but I'm new...and cannot make my own thread yet. So I went into the search box and typed in "hoar frost" to see if there were any threads on it already...I found one...this one...speaking of manna. Which is exactly where I was going with it. I was sitting here this morning, looking out my window, I live in ga, and its cold, there is frost. And I was reading my bible....I'm in Exodus, right at the part where Manna is rained down. And it hit me.....it spoke of dew being on the ground, and when the dew cleared...they found the manna..it looked like hoar frost. So two things came to me...how in the world was there dew in the desert? what did it cling to? the sand? and how did the israelites know what hoar frost was? I mean..first of all..why didn't they just call it "frost" ? but specifically "hoar" frost? and where in the world would they have seen "frost" to begin with? I realize the weather may have been very different then..but the author of this particular piece states "desert" and then dew and frost? but more specifically "hoar" frost. So on a path, I looked up "hoar frost" and came across this:

Hoar frost is a radiation frost.
Radiation frost (also called hoar frost or hoarfrost) refers to the white ice crystals, loosely deposited on the ground or exposed objects, that form on cold clear nights when heat losses into the open skies cause objects to become colder than the surrounding air. A related effect is flood frost which occurs when air cooled by ground-level radiation losses travels downhill to form pockets of very cold air in depressions, valleys, and hollows. Hoar frost can form in these areas even when the air temperature a few feet above ground is well above freezing. Nonetheless the frost itself will be at or below the freezing temperature of water.
Hoar frost may have different names depending on where it forms. For example, air hoar is a deposit of hoar frost on objects above the surface, such as tree branches, plant stems, wires; surface hoar is formed by fernlike ice crystals directly deposited on snow, ice or already frozen surfaces; crevasse hoar consists in crystals that form in glacial crevasses where water vapour can accumulate under calm weather conditions; depth hoar refers to cup shaped, faceted crystals formed within dry snow, beneath the surface.
Surface hoar is a cause of avalanches when it forms on top of snow. Conditions that are ideal are cold clear nights, with a very light wind that is able to circulate more humidified air around the snow surface. Wind that is too abrupt will destroy the crystals. When buried by subsequent snows they may remain standing for easy identification, or become laid down, but still dangerous because of the weakness of the crystals
Hoar frost also occurs around man-made environments such as freezers or industrial cold storage facilities. It occurs in adjacent rooms that are not well insulated against the cold or around entry locations where humidity and moisture will enter and freeze instantly depending on the freezer temperature.

just wondering if anyone could shed more info...would they have seen frost in egypt? in the desert to even know to call it that?

new topics

top topics

join