It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Referendums?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I feel so out of place posting in this forum, but I have a question and can't really find an answer to it, so I was hoping maybe you guy's could help me out.

It's a simple question really, and if its been discussed here previously, then my apologies.

Why can't we as a country hold referendums (I think this is what I mean) in regards to things like the whole health care issue? Or bailouts? It just seems that the people don't really have a lot of say in anything.

I dunno, it just seems to make more sense that way.

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
For a good idea what can go wrong with referendums, take a look at my state of California.

People keep voting for referendums that mandate that the state spends more money, and also for ones that put strict limits on taxes.

Now we have a state that's going broke because it cant pay its bills.

Aside from that, there really is nothing in the Constitution that allows issues to be decided by the popular vote - having watched the budget crisis here, I am glad.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I can kind of see what you are saying with that, and good example too. Perhaps they could be held just to get a feeling as to what the people want, you know, instead of these Fox / CNN polls that undoubtedly go towards decision making in some form or another.

And a friend just told me "We elect people to vote for us, that's why there are no referendums", but it just ain't working anymore, and most of em' just tell us what we want to hear to get where they are.

But whatever, I'm sure the voting would get rigged anyway.

(By the way, nice avatar, I've been observing Jupiter every night for the last two weeks with my new telescope
)

new topics

join