It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA test proves prisoner's innocence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

DNA test proves prisoner's innocence

www.news.com.au

A TEXAS man sentenced to life in prison has been released after 23 years behind bars after DNA tests proved his innocence, the man's lawyer said today.

A judge in Texas released Ernest Sonnier on bond on Friday, said lawyer Alba Morales, who works for the Innocence Project advocacy group.

Sonnier, 46, was convicted for a Christmas Eve 1985 rape that tests show he did not commit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
This is exactly why the (il)legal, (in)justice system is broken and wrong to the core...

Playing with people's lives is not an option. How can you compensate someone for spending the best half of their life behind bars???

Would you rather lock up 100 people knowing a couple may be innocent, or would you rather free 100 people knowing a few may be guilty?

For all the morons who advocate the death penalty for all rapes, reagrdless of circumstances - here's the perfect reason for why you are wrong.

Personally, I find that being framed for something you didn't do would have to be one of the most terrifying experiences to live through. If you're sent to jail because you did the crime, then that's your problem... but this case shows how one man has suffered for nothing!

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Too bad DNA wasn't around when this guy got arrested for the rape. 23 yrs of his life will never return. I think what is even worse is that two perpetrators were identified and will probably never be tried because of statue of limitations.

MBF

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
It doesn't matter even if you have DNA tests, you can still go to jail. This man had two DNA tests that said he was not the father of the child.

STORY

I know this guy personally and I also know the judge that put him in jail. As a matter of fact, I saw the judge a couple of nights ago and asked him if he had locked up any more innocent people. He held his head down and said well, that one had slipped through because there was a legitimate order for him to repay the state. I told him that there was law and there was common sense and sometimes you had to use the common sense and he kind of agreed. I did push him to offer Frank some kind of reimbursement for the time he spent in jail.

[edit on 8-8-2009 by MBF]

new topics

top topics

join