It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web attack 'aimed at one blogger'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Web attack 'aimed at one blogger'

news.bbc.co.uk

A "massively co-ordinated" attack on websites including Google, Facebook and Twitter was directed at one individual, it has been confirmed.
Facebook told BBC News that the strike was aimed at a pro-Georgian blogger known as Cyxymu.
The attack caused a blackout of Twitter for around two hours, while Facebook said its service had been "degraded".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Wow. Speculation that Russian hackers were told to target this ONE individual and that the resulting attack affected all of twitter and Facebook.

This guy must have been important. It's funny how they knew after a day what was going on here, but it took them a week when the attacks were so much larger.

Maybe they learned something from the last round.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
yep.. fascinating...especially given the date..

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
This whole thing didn't affect me in the least. I don't use Facebook anymore, Twitter is below me, and I didn't need to use Google anyway
There is always Dogpile.com

Anyone know why they did what they did?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I gotts say, props for the guy who took down twitter for a few hours. It is nice having it dow and watch the tweetards go nuts. just like on Conan O'brian last night. Although the downside was that there was yet more twitter news.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
There was one good thing that came out of all of this...

CNN lost its entire source base during the attack.

Shame.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bushido Kanji
There was one good thing that came out of all of this...

CNN lost its entire source base during the attack.

Shame.

Poor Rick Sanchez, Did he call in sick yesterday and not air his show? It would be interesting to see how he survives in his show without twitter... heheheh...

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This is a pretty insane thing to happen, for some reason it just does not sit right with me.

Why would the entire twitter and facebook services be hit just because of one guy!? That's not mentioning google too...

Hmm all seems a bit odd.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I do not believe this article. Personally, I think this was a test to see how effectively social media sites can be forced offline in the event of a government lead communications blackout. Seriously, if the Iranians couldn't even slow down Twitter information from streaming out of their country, let alone deluge the whole site, we're to believe that a network of hackers were able to crush multiple networks to silence one individual? I'm pretty positive that those in charge of Twitter, Google, and Facebook knew well before the "attacks" that their systems would be going down for awhile and were most likely informed that the desired reaction from them would be to just go with the flow, feign outrage, and join in blaming whoever the PTB ultimately decide to peg the blame on.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I think you are probably right, it seems to me the effort involved with pulling off a DOS attack this size just to get at one guy because he said some things Russia didn't like would be a waste of time.

The only reason i can see any need for this size attack against sites this big would be to stop a serious threat, which i doubt the blogger was. Or for Russia to be trying to prove a point on the size of the attacks it can carry out and the impact they can have on services. Either that or it was pulled off to incriminate a certain group as you said, in which case this would qualify as possibly one of the worst cover stories i have heard yet.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
This is simply a step forward in the plan to regulate the Internet.

I fully expect more of these stories as 'they' try to convince the moms and dads out there that the Internet as stands is evil and HAS to be radically changed, controlled and monitored.

Good day Gents.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turtle100
This is simply a step forward in the plan to regulate the Internet.

I fully expect more of these stories as 'they' try to convince the moms and dads out there that the Internet as stands is evil and HAS to be radically changed, controlled and monitored.

Good day Gents.

You could well be right.

Australia is looking at internet censorship & so is Malaysia.

I think there might be more & more of it.

I hope I'm wrong.

top topics

join